I've run up against a strange problem working with a client's server. They're running QMail and Mailman on a RedHat 9 box, using the Plesk 7.0 reloaded management panel. After they ran the up2date command, as well as using the management panel to update the software on the box, the mailing lists stopped working.

The only error that I can find is in the mailman error logs (sample here):
Jun 15 19:51:55 2006 (13082) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port smtp

QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the qmail-start binary. I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

All of the places suggested in the documentation I've been able to find don't exist or aren't being used (as far as I can tell).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Douglas G. Phillips at Jun 16, 2006 at 4:13 am
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Douglas G. Phillips
    To: "Mailman Users ML"
    Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:08 PM
    Subject: Mailman and Qmail - Cannot connect via SMTP

    I've run up against a strange problem working with a client's server. They're running QMail and Mailman on a RedHat 9 box, using the Plesk 7.0 reloaded management panel. After they ran the up2date command, as well as using the management panel to update the software on the box, the mailing lists stopped working.

    The only error that I can find is in the mailman error logs (sample here):
    Jun 15 19:51:55 2006 (13082) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port smtp

    QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the qmail-start binary. I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

    All of the places suggested in the documentation I've been able to find don't exist or aren't being used (as far as I can tell).

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.
  • Douglas G. Phillips at Jun 16, 2006 at 4:15 am
    Just a followup on this that I forgot to add: Messages sent to the list are received by qmail and processed by mailman. They appear in the list archives, but they are not re-sent to the members of the mailing list.

    I've run up against a strange problem working with a client's server. They're running QMail and Mailman on a RedHat 9 box, using the Plesk 7.0 reloaded management panel. After they ran the up2date command, as well as using the management panel to update the software on the box, the mailing lists stopped working.

    The only error that I can find is in the mailman error logs (sample here):
    Jun 15 19:51:55 2006 (13082) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port smtp

    QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the qmail-start binary. I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

    All of the places suggested in the documentation I've been able to find don't exist or aren't being used (as far as I can tell).

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 16, 2006 at 4:42 am

    Douglas G. Phillips wrote:
    Just a followup on this that I forgot to add: Messages sent to the list are received by qmail and processed by mailman. They appear in the list archives, but they are not re-sent to the members of the mailing list.

    That's consistent. The problem affects outgoing mail only.

    The only error that I can find is in the mailman error logs (sample here):
    Jun 15 19:51:55 2006 (13082) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port smtp

    Mailman's OutgoingRunner is reporting that it called
    SMTPDirect.process() to send the message and the SMTP connect called
    in that module raised a socket.error exception.

    This is not quite the situation described at
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp>,
    but the debugging techniques described there and in the referenced
    list posts should help.

    QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the qmail-start binary. I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

    Are you telnetting to 'localhost' by name? As the 'mailman' user?

  • Douglas G. Phillips at Jun 16, 2006 at 1:01 pm
    Thanks for your reply Mark. The problem was that the /etc/hosts file
    was set to 600 for the permissions. Resetting to 755 worked great.
    Now I've run into another problem, but I've found plenty of info on
    that.

    Thanks again.

    ,
    but the debugging techniques described there and in the referenced
    list posts should help.

    QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the
    qmail-start binary. I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from
    localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

    Are you telnetting to 'localhost' by name? As the 'mailman' user?

    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B.
    Dylan
  • Patrick Bogen at Jun 22, 2006 at 4:34 pm

    Thanks for your reply Mark. The problem was that the /etc/hosts file
    was set to 600 for the permissions. Resetting to 755 worked great.
    Now I've run into another problem, but I've found plenty of info on
    that.
    I guess this is a bit late, but FWIW, 0644 should be sufficient for /etc/hosts.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython