I recently had to rebuild my server after a long run of 6 years. The drive
that contained the Mailman archives, mailing lists, member records, etc was
mounted as the secondary drive so that I would not lose the info. The
server was rebuilt with Fedora Core 5 and the latest versions of the rest
of the software (Mailman, Sendmail, Postfix, Squirrelmail, etc).

Everything is working now as far as the mailing lists and membership records.
However, none of the messages are being archived, evethough the flags on the
admin page are set to allow archiving. Any ideas where I should be looking
to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance.

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @ 8:30PM 147.360/107.2 PL
http://www.nyc-arecs.org and http://www.nyc-races.org

NYDXA SWL & Scanner Net Wed. @ 9PM 147.360/107.2 PL
http://www.n2nov.net

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through
the walls topped by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified
borders." - Ronald Reagan

Search Discussions

  • Todd Zullinger at May 26, 2006 at 6:45 pm

    Charles J. Hargrove wrote:
    I recently had to rebuild my server after a long run of 6 years.
    The drive that contained the Mailman archives, mailing lists, member
    records, etc was mounted as the secondary drive so that I would not
    lose the info. The server was rebuilt with Fedora Core 5 and the
    latest versions of the rest of the software (Mailman, Sendmail,
    Postfix, Squirrelmail, etc).

    Everything is working now as far as the mailing lists and membership
    records. However, none of the messages are being archived,
    evethough the flags on the admin page are set to allow archiving.
    Any ideas where I should be looking to correct this problem.
    Are you using the FC5 mailman package or did you build it from source?
    The locations of the directories are changed in the FC package. Is it
    possible that your apache setup is looking in the wrong place for the
    archives?

    Are the archive mboxes getting created? On a standard source install
    they should be at:

    $prefix/archives/private/$listname.mbox/$listname.mbox

    The FC5 package has them at:

    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/$listname.mbox/$listname.mbox

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    The average woman would rather be beautiful than smart because the
    average man can see better than he can think.
    --Unknown
  • Charles J. Hargrove at May 26, 2006 at 10:28 pm
    I am using the FC5 Mailman package. The archive files since the new build
    are being kept in /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/.....

    However, the /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf file shows it as:
    Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

    Where can I find where it is being forced to save it into private?
[...]

  • Todd Zullinger at May 26, 2006 at 11:16 pm

    Charles J. Hargrove wrote:
    I am using the FC5 Mailman package. The archive files since the new
    build are being kept in /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/.....
    That's good. What does

    $ ls /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/$listname*

    show?

    Also, is SELinux running in enforcing mode?
    However, the /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf file shows it as:
    Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

    Where can I find where it is being forced to save it into private?
    That's as it should be. The public directory will contain symlinks to
    the private dir for lists that are public.

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    stupidity.
    -- Hanlon's Razor

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython