Thanks Patrick,

I have reinstalled on FC5 but still having issues.
Postfix itself appears to be working. It sends and delivers email
correctly.

I have installed mailman. The web interface is up and running.
I have added the URL and email host to mm_cfg.py and set
MTA to Postfix. I also set up the cronjob for mailman.

I created a list called rugby through interface and subscribed myself.
The message to confirm subscription arrives just fine.
I confirmed but when posting I get an error in mail log that says
I don't exist locally.

Now this is most likely because it can't find the mailman aliases file.
This will sound stupid but I cannot find it either!! I assume that
when you create a list through interface that it adds it to the alias
file?
I did run genaliases and that generated the following error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./genaliases", line 116, in ?
main()
File "./genaliases", line 106, in main
MTA.create(mlist, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
_update_maps()
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in
_update_maps
raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /etc/mailman/aliases
(status:
1, Operation not permitted)

I also have the mailman list. Setup and subscription worked fine
but when I post to list I get error that says:

< it022607.mydomain.com #5.0.0 X-Postfix; Command died with status 1:
"/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman">

I assume that this is a permission issue?

Hope someone can give me some pointers. Being completely new to mail
sure is a steep learning curve!

Cheers

If someone can tell me what could possibly have caused the issues
above that would be great.

Did you go through FAQ 1.7?

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.007.htp

--
- Patrick Bogen

Search Discussions

  • Todd Zullinger at May 26, 2006 at 1:14 am

    Defryn, Guy wrote:
    I did run genaliases and that generated the following error

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./genaliases", line 116, in ?
    main()
    File "./genaliases", line 106, in main
    MTA.create(mlist, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
    File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
    _update_maps()
    File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in
    _update_maps
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
    RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /etc/mailman/aliases
    (status:
    1, Operation not permitted)
    This is most likely FAQ 6.9:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&fileúq06.009.htp
    I get a "RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias" when
    creating lists and Postfix is my MTA

    Check that and adjust the paths as appropriate for FC5.
    I also have the mailman list. Setup and subscription worked fine
    but when I post to list I get error that says:

    < it022607.mydomain.com #5.0.0 X-Postfix; Command died with status 1:
    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman">

    I assume that this is a permission issue?
    It appears to be. It may be caused by SELinux instead of just normal
    file system permissions. Do you have SELinux running in enforcing
    mode? Run the getenforce command as root to find out if you're
    unsure. If it's in enforcing mode, you're going to want to set it to
    permissive or disable it for now as there are problems making mailman
    and postfix work. I've posted about this to the fedora-selinux-list
    and not gotten any real solution yet. I'll hopefully get a chance to
    submit a bug to Fedora on this so it can get fixed, but for now, it's
    a no go unless you are real adept at managing SELinux (which I think
    only a very small handful of folks are).

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    =====================================================================I like this 'God'; he's so deliciously evil.
    -- Stewie Griffin
  • Defryn, Guy at May 26, 2006 at 1:23 am
    Hi guys,

    I found an older message in the archive that was similar to my issue
    and all the errors where caused by selinux.

    Now the aliases get nicely created.

    I have submitted some messages to the list and I do not get any errors
    in my mail log. However the emails don't seem to be delivered to list
    members?

    What other logs could provide me with any indication of what is wrong?

    I am sure I made progress :-)

    Cheers

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/g.p.defryn%40massey
    .ac.nz

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;fileúq01.027.htp
  • Defryn, Guy at May 26, 2006 at 1:44 am
    Doh! After rebooting I did not start the processes again
    Seems to work now

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/g.p.defryn%40massey
    .ac.nz

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;fileúq01.027.htp
  • Todd Zullinger at May 26, 2006 at 3:12 am

    Defryn, Guy wrote:
    Doh! After rebooting I did not start the processes again
    Seems to work now
    Cool.

    If you want to be sure the services start at each boot on a RH/Fedora
    system, use chkconfig to turn them on. For postfix and mailman:

    # chkconfig postfix on
    # chkconfig mailman on

    (Sorry if that's glaringly obvious already. :)

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    Plagiarism saves time.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 25, '06 at 11:41p
activeMay 26, '06 at 3:12a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Defryn, Guy: 3 posts Todd Zullinger: 2 posts