All,
I am interested in copying my entire mailman installation over to another
machine to act as a mirror server in order to attempt an upgrade without the
risk of breaking my current installation. Is there one certain directory
path that I would have to move over in order to attempt this? or, can I
install the latest mailman version and import mail list information in order
to test? is one preferrable to another?

Thank you,
Jeff D

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 23, 2006 at 5:01 am

    Jeff DeReus wrote:
    I am interested in copying my entire mailman installation over to another
    machine to act as a mirror server in order to attempt an upgrade without the
    risk of breaking my current installation. Is there one certain directory
    path that I would have to move over in order to attempt this? or, can I
    install the latest mailman version and import mail list information in order
    to test? is one preferrable to another?

    If you're only doing this to test, you don't need to do much. Assuming
    Mailman is quiescent with nothing in its queues, you will be
    interested in some or all of the following directories.

    lists/ - contains the list configurations, membership, etc. and
    outstanding requests and held message info.

    archives/private/ - contains all archives
    archives/public/ - contains only symlinks into archices/private/ for
    lists with public archives

    data/ - contains current Mailman version, site password if any, list
    creator password if any and actual held messages. Pre 2.1.5 also held
    a global pending database which is per list in the lists/ directory
    for 2.1.5 and up. Also contains other things like the master qrunner
    pid that you don't want to move.

    If you're not concerned about archives and the site password, you only
    need to move the lists/ directory and maybe mm_cfg.py. You can do this
    before or after the Mailman installation.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 22, '06 at 6:42p
activeMay 23, '06 at 5:01a