I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
(supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
pending posts, etc.

It's happening for all my lists. This is what's in the mailman logs:
May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to escml.field.all from
listname at lists.ncmail.net, sizeQ85,
message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
failures
And there is nothing in the exim log.

Since the message are getting to mailman, I don't think it's a problem
with exim delivering the message to mailman, but there seems to be some
error in processing the data. They just keep sitting in the retry
queue. I'm not sure what to try next, please advise.

--
Anne Ramey
NCMail

__
NOTICE: E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official.

Search Discussions

  • John W. Baxter at May 18, 2006 at 5:10 pm

    I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
    (supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
    going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
    pending posts, etc.

    It's happening for all my lists. This is what's in the mailman logs:
    May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to escml.field.all from
    listname at lists.ncmail.net, sizeQ85,
    message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
    failures
    And there is nothing in the exim log.

    Since the message are getting to mailman, I don't think it's a problem
    with exim delivering the message to mailman, but there seems to be some
    error in processing the data. They just keep sitting in the retry
    queue. I'm not sure what to try next, please advise.
    If you mean "there is nothing in the Exim log" literally, then either you've
    turned off all logging in Exim--I'm not sure that's possible--or you're
    looking in the wrong place for the Exim log. At the least, there should be
    evidence of the message being delivered to Mailman.

    If you mean "there is nothing in the Exim log related to the messages
    Mailman should be sending," then my best guess would be that Exim is not
    accepting port 25 connections from localhost (assuming Exim on the same
    machine).

    You could try, on the Mailman machine,
    telnet localhost 25

    That should be rejected, timed out, or responded to with Exim's banner. If
    you get a banner, next issue the
    quit
    command.

    Let us on the list know what happens, and we'll have a chance to work
    through this further.

    --John (whose list address will shortly change to jwblist3 at olympus.net)
  • Anne Ramey at May 18, 2006 at 5:24 pm

    Anne Ramey wrote:
    I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
    (supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
    going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
    pending posts, etc.

    It's happening for all my lists. This is what's in the mailman logs:
    May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to escml.field.all from
    listname at lists.ncmail.net, sizeQ85,
    message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
    failures
    And there is nothing in the exim log.

    Since the message are getting to mailman, I don't think it's a problem
    with exim delivering the message to mailman, but there seems to be some
    error in processing the data. They just keep sitting in the retry
    queue. I'm not sure what to try next, please advise.
    Let me add that the main mailman messages are going through fine, and I
    see those sent in the exim logs, it is just these owner posts that don't
    show up in the logs. Yes, it appears that exim is configured correctly,
    and like I said, the mail is getting to mailman to be posted to the
    owner fine, it's mailman that doesn't seem to be able to handle it.

  • John W. Baxter at May 18, 2006 at 5:48 pm

    On 5/18/06 10:24 AM, "Anne Ramey" wrote:

    Anne Ramey wrote:
[...]

    OK (I really think I should have read that last part into what you wrote
    first--sorry).

    At this point, I'm having trouble imagining what is going wrong. I can see
    a failure if the "The list administrator email addresses." box on the
    General page contains a bare local part, with sendmail having been
    configured to qualify that and Exim not so configured, but I have trouble
    coming up with customized Exim logging settings which would totally suppress
    the logging of the unqualified address error that would result, while
    letting Exim logging for proper messages happen. And Mailman wouldn't know
    the difference--it would do what it's always done.

    The same logging argument would apply to Exim believing it isn't allowed to
    relay the message to owner to whatever machine that would be a relay to.

    It's someone else's turn.

    --John
  • Mark Sapiro at May 19, 2006 at 1:39 am

    Anne Ramey wrote:
    I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
    (supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
    going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
    pending posts, etc.

    It's happening for all my lists. This is what's in the mailman logs:
    May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to escml.field.all from
    listname at lists.ncmail.net, sizeQ85,
    message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
    failures
    And there is nothing in the exim log.

    I think that's from the 'post' log. There should be a more detailed
    message in Mailman's 'smtp-failure' log.

    Mailman sends owner notices in two steps. Step 1 - send it to
    list-owner. Step 2 - receive the mail to list-owner and resend to the
    owners. If you look in Mailman's 'smtp' log, you can normally see the
    two entries for the message-id, the first with 1 recipient and the
    second with recipients = the number of owners.

    In your case, it seems to be step 2 that fails. Things that can break
    step 1 are most likely, the -owner suffix missing from the mailman
    router in the exim config, but in your case it definitely seems to be
    step 2 as you said
    the number of failures listed is always
    the number of owners for that list.
    So what's in the 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' logs?

    Just guessing, I think exim may not like the envelope sender (SMTP MAIL
    FROM command) of the owner notice. I think this is
    mailman-bounces at DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST (where mailman is the name of the
    site list).

  • Anne Ramey at May 18, 2006 at 5:52 pm
    Let me try again, hopefully I'll be more clear this time:

    I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
    (supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
    going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
    pending posts, etc.

    Let me mention here that messages to listname-request at lists.ncmail.net,
    and listname at lists.ncmail.net seem to be going through without trouble.
    People can submit (un)subscribes and post messages to the lists fine.
    It's just the owner messages that are not going out.

    It's happening for all my lists. This is what's in the mailman logs:
    May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to listname from
    listname-owner at lists.ncmail.net, sizeQ85,
    message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
    failures
    And there is nothing about these messages in the exim log, but I can of
    course see the posts and request messages fine in the exim logs, since
    they go to their destinations.

    Since the message are getting to mailman, I don't think it's a problem
    with exim delivering the message to mailman, but there seems to be some
    error in processing the data--the number of failures listed is always
    the number of owners for that list. They just keep sitting in the retry
    queue. I'm not sure what to try next, please advise.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 18, '06 at 4:26p
activeMay 19, '06 at 1:39a