Sorry to bug you guys with what is probably such a simple question that
nobody figured it needed to be in the help files...

I'm trying to set up a mailing lists system for sending notifications to
members of a volunteer organisation. There will be no posts from
members, only from the office. Subscription and Unsubscription will only
ever be done by staff from the mass subscription on the admin page, so
none of that stuff is required for users.

Unfortunately, the mail server has a hard coded 500 mails an hour speed
limit, and the list is about 1300 and growing. I have set up three
separate lists to hold about 450 addresses max (so the office staff have
no excuse to slack off for an hour after sending a mailout), so we send
to list1, an hour or so later to list2, etc.

The lists are set to accept mail only from the office mail account, and
just reject everything else.

It used to work. Then the server died. Then the backup got corrupted by
the clutz rebuilding the server. Then we had to start from scratch. Now
I have three mailing lists that just won't work - test messages vanish
into the ether - no bounce, no notification, no delivery, no nothing.

I'm at my wits end, and have invested way too much of my life in this.
Can someone point me to a template, or a simple "point by point" how to
make this simple configuration work. At this point, I'm happy to nuke
everything and start with default settings again...

Many thanks in anticipation.

Glen

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 17, 2006 at 3:05 pm

    PC At Last wrote:
    It used to work. Then the server died. Then the backup got corrupted by
    the clutz rebuilding the server. Then we had to start from scratch. Now
    I have three mailing lists that just won't work - test messages vanish
    into the ether - no bounce, no notification, no delivery, no nothing.

    I'm at my wits end, and have invested way too much of my life in this.
    Can someone point me to a template, or a simple "point by point" how to
    make this simple configuration work. At this point, I'm happy to nuke
    everything and start with default settings again...
    If you set up a simple, default, test list, does that work. If so, see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.
    If not, see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>

  • PC at May 18, 2006 at 1:23 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    PC At Last wrote:
    It used to work. Then the server died. Then the backup got corrupted by
    the clutz rebuilding the server. Then we had to start from scratch. Now
    I have three mailing lists that just won't work - test messages vanish
    into the ether - no bounce, no notification, no delivery, no nothing.

    I'm at my wits end, and have invested way too much of my life in this.
    Can someone point me to a template, or a simple "point by point" how to
    make this simple configuration work. At this point, I'm happy to nuke
    everything and start with default settings again...
    If you set up a simple, default, test list, does that work. If so, see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.
    If not, see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>
    Thanks for the links Mark. They have helped tie down exactly what is (or
    isn't as the case may be) going on.

    I have deleted all lists, and created a brand new one, making minimal
    alterations to default values - (ie. set smtp server name, set
    descriptive rejection notice for all moderated posts, and subscribed an
    address in each of the four mail servers I have access to - just to
    eliminate pop3 or spam filtering issues).

    Before I set the "reject moderated posts" flag, I DID get a reply to the
    originating address stating "held for moderation". And after accepting
    the post in moderation tasks, the post DID go to all four addresses
    subscribed.

    After I set the "reject moderated posts" flag, I DID NOT get anything at
    all from anywhere or to anywhere. Not even the rejected notice I had
    added to try and track which part of the system rejected the post. The
    test post just vanished into the ether.

    Unfortunately, most of the testing suggestions in your second link, I
    can't get to, as my mailman install is part of a CPanel hosting package
    and I don't have access that far back in the directory tree.

    Vital Statistics are as follows...

    Mailman version 2.1.7.cp1
    Kernel version 2.4.21-40.ELsmp
    Apache version 1.3.34 (Unix)
    PERL version 5.8.7
    PHP version 4.4.1
    MySQL version 4.0.25-standard
    cPanel Build 10.8.2-RELEASE 83

    I don't know how much of that is useful, or even relevant, but rather
    than make a bad call, it was easier to copy and paste the lot.

    Until I can get messages passing through, I guess there is no point
    trying to customize it for how it's supposed to work. I figure I have a
    reasonable handle on that part anyway - just couldn't find what I had
    done to kill it first time round - maybe nothing?

    Thanks again for help so far. Any further suggestions more than welcome...

    Regards,

    Glen
  • Brad Knowles at May 18, 2006 at 1:38 pm