We are currently trying to implement mailman lists on
our campus. Implementation of normal lists has gone well but when we
try to set up an umbrella list it doesn't seem to work. It shows the
lists as subscribed to the main list and we've set the privacy options
but somewhere we must have something selected or not selected that makes
them run properly. Is it possible for you to send a link that would show
how both the main list of the umbrella list is set up and also how the
sub lists within it are set up? We have a feeling it may be we don't
have something chosen correctly.

Thank you for your assistance.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 17, 2006 at 11:10 pm

    Lori Christensen wrote:
    We are currently trying to implement mailman lists on
    our campus. Implementation of normal lists has gone well but when we
    try to set up an umbrella list it doesn't seem to work. It shows the
    lists as subscribed to the main list and we've set the privacy options
    but somewhere we must have something selected or not selected that makes
    them run properly. Is it possible for you to send a link that would show
    how both the main list of the umbrella list is set up and also how the
    sub lists within it are set up? We have a feeling it may be we don't
    have something chosen correctly.

    It might be easier if you just told us exactly what happens when a post
    is sent to the umbrella list and exactly what privacy options you have
    set.

    Note the following:

    A post to the umbrella must come from a member of the umbrella list or
    someone in accept_these_nonmembers of the umbrella (see
    <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid20144&group_id3&atid00103>
    for a way to include the members of the sub lists) or
    default_nonmember_action for the umbrella must be accept (or at least
    not reject or discard). Similar considerations apply to the sub-lists
    with respect to the address the sub-list will determine sent the post.

    The umbrella should be in acceptable_aliases of the sub-lists or they
    should have require_explicit_destination set to No.

  • John Adamski at May 18, 2006 at 6:48 pm
    After more research it looks like the issue is between our exchange
    server and mailman. Exchange is holding all emails in a queue and
    getting error 'The remover server did not respond to a connection
    attempt.'

    So far I have not found out why exchange can't connect or what the exact
    error it is getting when it tries to connect.

    Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

    John

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/adamski%40graceland
    .edu

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;fileúq01.027.htp
  • Mark Sapiro at May 19, 2006 at 3:55 pm

    John Adamski wrote:
    After more research it looks like the issue is between our exchange
    server and mailman. Exchange is holding all emails in a queue and
    getting error 'The remover server did not respond to a connection
    attempt.'

    So far I have not found out why exchange can't connect or what the exact
    error it is getting when it tries to connect.
    Yet Lori's original post implied that mail to non-umbrella lists was
    working. I don't know what could possibly allow exchange to connect
    when it is going to (not yet known) deliver to A, but not when it is
    going to deliver to B. But, then I know nothing about Exchange (or
    what lies it might tell). In this case, it appears to be saying that
    the remote server (the incoming MTA on the Mailman box?) did not
    respond at all to its connect attempt.

    Is anything about the mailman lists configured in Exchange? If so,
    what's different between lists that work and lists that don't?

  • Mark Sapiro at May 19, 2006 at 11:03 pm

    Lori Christensen wrote:
    None of the sub-lists that are members receive their email from umbrella
    list.

    Example: umbrella list name- campusfac-l

    Membership for this list is
    Hum-l
    Soc-l
    Sci-l

    (these all have campusfac-l under recipient filter- Alias names
    (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc destination names for this
    list.
    Does the umbrella list receive the message? (subscribe your own email
    address to the umbrella and see if you get the post. Check Mailman's
    logs, 'post', 'smtp', smtp-failure', 'vette' to see if the post got
    to/through the umbrella and if/why it got discarded by the sub-lists)

    The sub-list has to accept the post. This is going to depend on things
    like *_these_nonmembers and generic_non-member_action for the
    sub-lists or sub-list membership. You may want to subscribe - with
    delivery disabled - the umbrella-bounces address (the sender of posts
    from the umbrella) to each of the sub-lists.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 17, '06 at 9:16p
activeMay 19, '06 at 11:03p