Some background:
Machine A has Sun JES Messenger 6.2 running as the main mail server that points to the outside world. I have installed the mailmanWrapper.pl program to interface Messenger with Mailman.

Machine B has the Mailman 2.1.8 installation, the JES Web Server, and Sendmail.

I have two problems. First, if I create a new list via command line I cannot edit it via the web interface. I execute the command line as the "mailman" user and the web is executed as the "webservd" user. I have placed the webservd user in the mailman group in my /etc/group file but I still can not add users to the list via the web interface. The lists/testlist/config.pck file changes date but the information does not change.

Second problem. If I send an email to testlist at domain.com from the Sun JES Messenger it traverses to the Mailman machine but an email addressed to testlist at domain.com is sent back to the Messenger machine. (This is from looking at the Sendmail logs.) Shouldn't it be sending back several emails, one addressed to each member of the list? How do I debug this?

Thanks for any help.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 17, 2006 at 2:33 pm

    Daniel, Barry K. wrote:
    I have two problems. First, if I create a new list via command line I cannot edit it via the web interface. I execute the command line as the "mailman" user and the web is executed as the "webservd" user. I have placed the webservd user in the mailman group in my /etc/group file but I still can not add users to the list via the web interface. The lists/testlist/config.pck file changes date but the information does not change.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp>

    Second problem. If I send an email to testlist at domain.com from the Sun JES Messenger it traverses to the Mailman machine but an email addressed to testlist at domain.com is sent back to the Messenger machine. (This is from looking at the Sendmail logs.) Shouldn't it be sending back several emails, one addressed to each member of the list? How do I debug this?

    Can you see what this mail says?

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>.

  • Daniel, Barry K. at May 18, 2006 at 2:38 pm
    I looked at the links that you gave me and learned a few things about debugging. However, I have still been unsuccessful. I think the main problem is that our configuration is quite complex and I am quite green at all of this stuff. We accept email from the internet (addressed to domain.gov) on machine A which has Sun Messenger 6.2 installed (MTA). If the mail if for a regular user the mail is stored on machine B (Sun Messenger 6.2 mailstore mailboxes). The Messenger is integrated with an LDAP server on machine C. I have added LDAP entries for testlist, testlist-owner, testlist-subscribe, etc. I set all of these entries to use machine D as their mailhost. Machine D has Mailman and Sendmail running on it. All of the internal machines (A, B, C, D, etc.) actually belong to domainpriv.gov, not domain.gov. The email addresses to testlist at domain.gov hits machine A and gets redirected to machine D. However, we have Sendmail on machine D set up to send and email that it does not recognize back to the MTA machine (A). Thus, the message is redirected back to the MTA without hitting Mailman. I have added the aliases in the /etc/aliases file (i.e. testlist: |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist) and even have added entries in the virtualusertable (i.e. testlist at domain.gov testlist). I added a single entry to the mailertable (domain.com mailhost:localhost.domainpriv.com).

    I test sendmail:
    echo "From: dud1 at domain.gov To: testlist at domain.gov Subject: Test test mail body " | /usr/lib/sendmail -f dud1 at domain.gov testlist at domain.gov

    I get no response in the Mailman logs/smtp log. I get no errors in the /var/log/maillog.

    I test mm-handler:
    echo "From: dud1 at domain.gov To: testlist at domain.gov Subject: Test test mail body " | /etc/mail/mm-handler localhost.domainpriv.gov -r dud1 at domain.gov testlist

    I receive:

    to: testlist
    sender: dud1 at domain.gov
    server: localhost.domainpriv.gov

    I get no response in the Mailman logs/smtp log. I get no errors in the /var/log/maillog.

    Help the ignorant.

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Patrick Bogen at May 18, 2006 at 6:11 pm

    oes not recognize back to the MTA machine (A). Thus, the message is redirected back
    to the MTA without hitting Mailman. I have added the aliases in the /etc/aliases file (i.e.
    testlist: |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist) and even have added entries in the
    virtualusertable (i.e. testlist at domain.gov testlist). I added a single entry to the
    mailertable (domain.com mailhost:localhost.domainpriv.com).
    Did you rebuild the aliases file and/or restart Sendmail after making
    these changes? To the messages arrive at Sendmail with an @domain.gov
    address, or @domainpriv.gov? Is sendmail set to accept whichever one
    is appropriate as a local delivery address?

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Daniel, Barry K. at May 19, 2006 at 1:00 am

    oes not recognize back to the MTA machine (A). Thus, the message is redirected back
    to the MTA without hitting Mailman. I have added the aliases in the /etc/aliases file (i.e.
    testlist: |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist) and even have added entries in the
    virtualusertable (i.e. testlist at domain.gov testlist). I added a single entry to the
    mailertable (domain.com mailhost:localhost.domainpriv.com).
    Did you rebuild the aliases file and/or restart Sendmail after making
    these changes? To the messages arrive at Sendmail with an @domain.gov
    address, or @domainpriv.gov? Is sendmail set to accept whichever one
    is appropriate as a local delivery address?

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Patrick Bogen at May 19, 2006 at 2:43 am