Looks like in the last digest sent, and probably the original also, that a
Subject line of "Rpms for RHEL/Centos 4?" gets chopped to "Centos 4" in the
attachment names due to the forward slash.

Is this a know problem?

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 11, 2006 at 11:11 pm

    Steve Campbell wrote:
    Looks like in the last digest sent, and probably the original also, that a
    Subject line of "Rpms for RHEL/Centos 4?" gets chopped to "Centos 4" in the
    attachment names due to the forward slash.

    If I understand you correctly, you received a MIME format digest as a
    multipart/mixed message consisting of a few text/plain sub-parts as
    well as a multipart/digest sub-part in turn consisting of some
    message/rfc822 sub-parts, each of which is one list message, and your
    MUA (MS Outlook Express?) shows you the text/plain parts and a bunch
    of attachments, each of which is one of the messages and has a name
    which is normally the subject of the message, but in the case of the
    message with subject "Rpms for RHEL/Centos 4?", was just "Centos 4?".

    This naming of the attachments is strictly a function of your MUA.
    There is no actual Content-Disposition: header with a filename=
    parameter nor is there a name= parameter in the Content-Type: header
    of these message parts. Your MUA either is Outlook Express or does
    what it does which is to give the "attachment" a name which is that
    portion of the Subject: to the right of the rightmost slash.
    Thunderbird for example will give the same "attachment" a name equal
    to the Subject: whether or not it contains slashes.

    Mailman has nothing to do with this.

  • Campbell at May 12, 2006 at 10:09 am

    Quoting Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>:

    Steve Campbell wrote:
    Looks like in the last digest sent, and probably the original also, that a
    Subject line of "Rpms for RHEL/Centos 4?" gets chopped to "Centos 4" in the
[...]

    I've been browsing the archives lately just as a learning tool, and I'm just
    finding out that MUAs play such a large part of what I see here in all of email.
    OE is what I use at work, Thunderbird at home, so that explains the problem I
    saw. Did Microsoft get much of anything right? It just never occurred to me that
    it may be the MUA, though, this time.

    Thanks so much.

    Steve

  • Todd Zullinger at May 12, 2006 at 1:12 pm

    campbell at cnpapers.com wrote:
    I've been browsing the archives lately just as a learning tool, and
    I'm just finding out that MUAs play such a large part of what I see
    here in all of email. OE is what I use at work, Thunderbird at
    home, so that explains the problem I saw. Did Microsoft get much of
    anything right?
    The virus and worm propagation features of MS MUA's is top notch.
    I've never heard of a finer implementation. ;-)

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
    -- Dr. Milton Friedman, Nobel-Prize-winning economist.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 11, '06 at 6:49p
activeMay 12, '06 at 1:12p