FAQ
On two newly created lists, I have a problem where only a fraction of
the users receive mail from the list.

These are emergency moderated lists which were populated form text
files. One has over 800 users, while the other is over 4000. I have
checked the addresses closely and. Checked the output when they were
created, so that does not seem to be a problem.

When a message is sent, then subsequently approved, it is sent to only a
subset of the users. There is no rhyme or reason to which ones (ie: not
alphabetical).

Has anyone seen this before? Where should I look? I have checked the
outgoing queues and the postfix logs and it appears that the messages
simply are never sent to the other users. There don,t appear to be any
errors, however neither do there appear to be confirmations in the post
log. I have at least two other lists, created in the same manner which
are working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Search Discussions

  • Patrick Bogen at May 9, 2006 at 3:26 pm

    On 5/9/06, Bryan Daniel wrote:
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Check /var/log/mailman/ smtp and smtp-failure. They might indicate
    whether or not mailman /tried/ to send, and what went wrong, if
    anything.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Patrick Bogen at May 9, 2006 at 4:58 pm

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Bryan Daniel <Bryan.Daniel at ucfv.ca>
    Date: May 9, 2006 11:36 AM
    Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Not all subscribers receiving list mail.
    To: Patrick Bogen <pdbogen at gmail.com>

    Hi Patrick and thanks for your response. There are probably 80 lists
    running on this server, so there is a lot of activity and its hard to
    spot individual; errors. There is little I can find in the
    smtp-failures, but I did find some things in the smtp log. The first
    list called library-staff-users was sent to and a significant number
    of recipients did get the message while others did not. The larger
    list (4000 +) is called library-students and I could find no evidence
    that the messages went out at all. That message was sent riyght
    around the 16:27 time frame and you will see that I have shown a few
    small snipets of the logs including some errors after the 16:27 time.
    I don't undertsand this error, but perhaps you will.

    Once again, I very much appreciate any insight you can provide.

    Bryan Daniel


    May 08 15:36:17 2006 (32223)
    <mailman.0.1147127774.32096.library-staff-users at ucfv.ca> smtp for 1
    recips, completed in 1.162 seconds
    May 08 15:36:17 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 0.357 seconds
    May 08 15:36:17 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 0.223 seconds

    May 08 16:13:54 2006 (32223)
    <mailman.739.1147130010.32220.library-students at ucfv.ca> smtp for 4
    recips, completed in 0.338 seconds
    May 08 16:13:55 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 0.398 seconds
    May 08 16:13:55 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 0.226 seconds

    May 08 16:14:39 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 2.080 seconds
    May 08 16:14:40 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 1.241 seconds
    May 08 16:27:14 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:14 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients re fused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: please run connect() first
    May 08 16:27:24 2006 (32223) <445F600702000006000A37AB at gw.ucfv.ca>
    smtp for 3 recips, completed in 0.319 seconds

    May 08 16:29:10 2006 (32223) All recipients refused: [Errno 4]
    Interrupted system call


    Bryan Daniel
    Systems Administrator
    University College of the Fraser Valley
    Abbotsford, BC V2S 7M8
    "Patrick Bogen" <pdbogen at gmail.com> 09/05/2006 8:26 am >>>
    On 5/9/06, Bryan Daniel wrote:
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Check /var/log/mailman/ smtp and smtp-failure. They might indicate
    whether or not mailman /tried/ to send, and what went wrong, if
    anything.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen


    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Patrick Bogen at May 9, 2006 at 4:58 pm

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Bryan Daniel <Bryan.Daniel at ucfv.ca>
    Date: May 9, 2006 11:39 AM
    Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Not all subscribers receiving list mail.
    To: Patrick Bogen <pdbogen at gmail.com>

    Patrick, further to my last, I found this in the error log,
    corresponding to the errors at 16:27.

    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Uncaught runner exception: please run
    connect() first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 61, in _dispose
    self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 150, in process
    conn.quit()
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 80, in quit
    self.__conn.quit()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 702, in quit
    self.docmd("quit")
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 357, in docmd
    &nb sp; self.putcmd(cmd,args)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 313, in putcmd
    self.send(str)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 305, in send
    raise SMTPServerDisconnected('please run connect() first')
    SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first

    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) SHUNTING:
    1147130009.4508071+7c8069de27c09b68a08e7a123824ede909892f59
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost
    on port smtp


    "Patrick Bogen" <pdbogen at gmail.com> 09/05/2006 8:26 am >>>
    On 5/9/06, Bryan Daniel wrote:
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Check /var/log/mailman/ smtp and smtp-failure. They might indicate
    whether or not mailman /tried/ to send, and what went wrong, if
    anything.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen


    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Patrick Bogen at May 9, 2006 at 4:59 pm

    On 5/9/06, Bryan Daniel wrote:
    Patrick, further to my last, I found this in the error log, corresponding to
    the errors at 16:27.

    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Uncaught runner exception: please run connect()
    first
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in
    _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in
    _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line
    61, in _dispose
    self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line
    150, in process
    conn.quit()
    File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line
    80, in quit
    self.__conn.quit()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 702, in quit
    self.docmd("quit")
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 357, in docmd
    &nb sp; self.putcmd(cmd,args)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 313, in putcmd
    self.send(str)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/smtplib.py", line 305, in send
    raise SMTPServerDisconnected('please run connect() first')
    SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first

    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) SHUNTING:
    1147130009.4508071+7c8069de27c09b68a08e7a123824ede909892f59
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port
    smtp
    This is definitely *why* you're losing posts, but I don't know what
    the problem here is. Someone else that knows more about Mailman's
    internal workings should be able to shed some light on the subject.

    P.s., make sure you reply to the list, and not just to me. :)

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Jim Popovitch at May 9, 2006 at 5:07 pm

    Patrick Bogen wrote:
    On 5/9/06, Bryan Daniel wrote:
    raise SMTPServerDisconnected('please run connect() first')
    SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first

    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) SHUNTING:
    1147130009.4508071+7c8069de27c09b68a08e7a123824ede909892f59
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port
    smtp
    This is definitely *why* you're losing posts
    It looks like the MTA on the localhost is probably rejecting connections
    due to a high load avg or too many incoming connections (from Mailman?)
    You probably need to tweak tweak your MTA settings to make it more
    optimized.


    -Jim P.
  • Bryan Daniel at May 9, 2006 at 6:20 pm
    Thanks Jim. You may be right that the MTA caused some problems as
    indicated in the logs this time. I'll definitely look into that as a
    possibility, but I am not sure that it is the reason for the original
    problem. This server was the MTA for the entire campus in it's previous
    life, but now supports mailman only.

    We attempted three different times to send to one of these lists and
    the result was the message going to the same people from the list each
    time. If this were caused by a disconnection problem with the MTA, I
    would expect perhaps a different subset of subscribers would not get the
    messages on each occasion.

    Thanks very much for your response.

    Bryan Daniel

    Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> 09/05/2006 10:07 am >>>
    Patrick Bogen wrote:
    On 5/9/06, Bryan Daniel wrote:
    raise SMTPServerDisconnected('please run connect() first')
    SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first

    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) SHUNTING:
    1147130009.4508071+7c8069de27c09b68a08e7a123824ede909892f59
    May 08 16:27:15 2006 (32223) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost
    on port
    smtp
    This is definitely *why* you're losing posts
    It looks like the MTA on the localhost is probably rejecting
    connections
    due to a high load avg or too many incoming connections (from Mailman?)

    You probably need to tweak tweak your MTA settings to make it more
    optimized.


    -Jim P.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/bryan.daniel%40ucfv.ca

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp
  • Mark Sapiro at May 11, 2006 at 4:21 am

    Bryan Daniel wrote:
    We attempted three different times to send to one of these lists and
    the result was the message going to the same people from the list each
    time. If this were caused by a disconnection problem with the MTA, I
    would expect perhaps a different subset of subscribers would not get the
    messages on each occasion.
    Not necessarily. The recipient list is calculated (and it's in a hashed
    order, so it's not alphabetical). In delivery, it is then sorted by
    domain and chunked into pieces of size SMTP_MAX_RCPTS (default 500).
    Then, a connection is opened to the SMTP server, and the message is
    sent in 8 or so transactions of 500 RCPTs each, and the connection is
    closed.

    The MTA may not like 500 RCPTs per transaction in which case you need
    to reduce SMTP_MAX_RCPTS in mm_cfg.py. It may not like a number of
    large transactions on a single connection in which case you need to
    set SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION to some non-zero number in
    mm_cfg.py. The default setting is zero which means all chunks will be
    sent on a single connection. A non-zero setting (1 or 2 or so) means
    send that many chunks, then disconnect and reconnect befor sending
    that many again until done.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 9, '06 at 5:31a
activeMay 11, '06 at 4:21a
posts8
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase