I am running cPanel:
WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-C90
CentOS 4.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Any message sent to any mailman list on my server gets shunted. I have tried
reinstalling python, mailman, spamd, rebooting.

Nothing seems to allow a message sent to a list go through.

I had this problem once before, it was a non-ascii character in the footer.
Thanks Mark Sapiro for figuring that out.

Any ideas?
Chuck

Search Discussions

  • Chuck Vohs at May 9, 2006 at 6:37 pm
    I am running cPanel:
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-C90
    CentOS 4.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

    Any message sent to any mailman list on my server gets shunted. I have tried
    reinstalling python, mailman, spamd, rebooting.

    Nothing seems to allow a message sent to a list go through.

    I had this problem once before, it was a non-ascii character in the footer.
    Thanks Mark Sapiro for figuring that out.

    Any ideas?
    Chuck
  • Todd Zullinger at May 9, 2006 at 6:11 pm

    Chuck Vohs wrote:
    I am running cPanel:
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-C90
    CentOS 4.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

    Any message sent to any mailman list on my server gets shunted. I
    have tried reinstalling python, mailman, spamd, rebooting.
    How'd you reinstall mailman? Via cPanel or rpm? I've worked a little
    on a friends cPanel server and they had both the distribution rpm
    package (RH9 was the OS) as well as their own mailman package. The
    cPanel one is installed in something like /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty.

    If you're poking around to find the shunted messages, logs, and bin
    programs (like unshunt). Just something to keep in mind as it can be
    rather confusing, especially if you post results of commands here that
    show the OS mailman install and it looks good, while the cPanel
    install that's the one you need to fix is still borked.

    I get more annoyed every time I have to deal with a cPanel server. :)
    They might as well be a Windows box AFAIAC. The theory is the same:
    if the GUI works, you're OK. As soon as it doesn't, you have to do
    all sorts of (what should be unnecessary) digging to figure out how
    they've integrated things into their "system."

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    True Civility is when everyone gives to every other one every right
    that they claim for themselves.
  • Chuck Vohs at May 9, 2006 at 7:16 pm
    I reinstalled via the cpanel script.
    You are right about the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty dir.
    And about the Windows comparison...to some extent.

    Last time this happened, Mark figured out from the error is was the non-ASCII
    chars in the footer...I wish it were the same error this time.

    It's not:

    May 09 15:02:56 2006 (345) Uncaught runner exception: 'function' object has no
    attribute 'rfind'
    May 09 15:02:56 2006 (345) Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111,
    in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167,
    in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py",
    line 130, in _dispose
    more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py",
    line 153, in _dopipeline
    sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py", line 157,
    in process
    if mlist.require_explicit_destination and \
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1331, in
    HasExplicitDest
    last_underscore = listfullname.rfind('_');
    AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'rfind'

    May 09 15:02:56 2006 (345) SHUNTING:
    1147201398.6724019+98a04a4ff5f354b05d088160ac668a7595f5a145

    Todd Zullinger wrote:
    Chuck Vohs wrote:
[...]

    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/fuzzie%40vohslaw.com

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp
  • Mark Sapiro at May 9, 2006 at 7:57 pm

    Chuck Vohs wrote:
    Last time this happened, Mark figured out from the error is was the non-ASCII
    chars in the footer...I wish it were the same error this time.

    And I wish I could help you as easily this time as last, but I can't.

[...]

    This error is in cPanel specific modifications to Mailman having to do
    with adding '_domain' to list names to support the 'same' list name in
    multiple domains.

    I don't know specifically what their patches are in this area. The only
    cPanel patches I am aware of are those at
    <http://koston.org/mailman-patches/mailman-2.1.3-cpanel.diff>, and the
    above error didn't come from those patches either.

    If you just installed a cPanel update to Mailman, that is where the
    error is - it looks to me like a coding error rather than something
    specific to your lists.

    If you post the definition of HasExplicitDest from
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py, i.e. that part
    that begins with

    def HasExplicitDest(self, msg):

    through the next 'def', I might be able to suggest a fix, but the best
    thing might be to back out the update if that's what's causing it (or
    see if cPanel has a fix).

  • Todd Zullinger at May 9, 2006 at 8:16 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    This error is in cPanel specific modifications to Mailman having to
    do with adding '_domain' to list names to support the 'same' list
    name in multiple domains.

    I don't know specifically what their patches are in this area. The
    only cPanel patches I am aware of are those at
    <http://koston.org/mailman-patches/mailman-2.1.3-cpanel.diff>, and
    the above error didn't come from those patches either.
    Yeah, I think those are the same one's they posted that after I nagged
    them repeatedly for the changes they'd made to Mailman. I thought
    they'd be happy to provide them since they're whole system uses open
    source code. Instead it was a big hassle to get them to respond and
    eventually post that diff. It's definitely not a full diff of what
    they do.

    Now that I have decent access to a cPanel system I'll try to do a
    proper diff -uNr sometime.
    (or see if cPanel has a fix).
    Don't hold your breath on that Chuck. I've patched a few nasty
    exploits in other addon packages they provide (osCommerce most
    recently) and I've been waiting to see if they ever get around to
    providing their own patches for their paying customers. It's been
    close to a month since the osCommerce exploit was published on bugtraq
    (with handy google search instructions for locating plenty of
    targets).

    It's constantly amazing to me that the best support around is found on
    mailing lists like this one, thanks to many helpful folks like
    yourself Mark. I really appreciate the help you give so often and
    I've learned a lot more about Mailman than I would have just tinkering
    with it myself. :)

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    "Do you think there's a God?"