Hello,

I have created a mailing list using Mailman version 2.1.8 and Sendmail
version 8.12 as the MTA on a Fedora 2 box. After creation of the list, I
sent out a message to all the members (< 30000). Some messages were
received, but most it seems were not. In the sendmail log the following
entry was found repeated several times:

May 7 05:07:16 ip-68-178-242-231 sendmail[12991]: k474oTaH027069:
to=<Several Emails>, delay:48:40, xdelay�:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri687906, relay=someserver.net, dsn=4.0.0, statÞferred: Connection
reset by someserver.net

The last two sections bother me. Are the messages only deferred for a little
time and will be resent? Why is the connection reset by someserver.net?
Do I need to resend the message?

Normal emails are going through without any problem. I am on a dedicated
box, and the someserver.net is the smtp out box for the hosting company.

I have searched a fair bit and can't figure it out, so any help is
appreciated.

Regards,
Vikram Goyal

Search Discussions

  • Barry Finkel at May 8, 2006 at 3:32 pm

    Vikram Goyal" wrote:
[...]

    The message from sendmail in the syslog:

    relay=someserver.net, dsn=4.0.0,
    statÞferred: Connection reset by someserver.net

    states that while sendmail was talking over SMTP to

    someserver.net

    that server reset the connection. As a result, sendmail has re-queued
    the message, and it will retry the connection at whatever time
    interval has been set in the sendmail.cf (or submit.cf) file.
    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994
  • Patrick Bogen at May 8, 2006 at 3:57 pm

    The message from sendmail in the syslog:

    relay=someserver.net, dsn=4.0.0,
    stat=Deferred: Connection reset by someserver.net

    states that while sendmail was talking over SMTP to

    someserver.net

    that server reset the connection. As a result, sendmail has re-queued
    the message, and it will retry the connection at whatever time
    interval has been set in the sendmail.cf (or submit.cf) file.
    I concur. To add an additional tidbit, if I had to guess I would say
    that someserver.net is throttling the the rate you're trying to send
    at.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Stephen J. Turnbull at May 8, 2006 at 4:40 pm
    "Vikram" == Vikram Goyal <tech at craftbits.com> writes:
    Vikram> May 7 05:07:16 ip-68-178-242-231 sendmail[12991]:
    Vikram> k474oTaH027069: to=<Several Emails>, delay:48:40,
    Vikram> xdelay�:00:00, mailer=relay, pri687906,
    Vikram> relay=someserver.net, dsn=4.0.0, statÞferred: Connection
    Vikram> reset by someserver.net

    Vikram> The last two sections bother me. Are the messages only
    Vikram> deferred for a little time and will be resent?

    Yes. Typical delay is something like 4 hours, IIRC.

    Vikram> Why is the connection reset by someserver.net?

    You'll have to ask someserver.net. Many hosting services will limit
    the amount of mail you can send in a given time period. It is
    possible to limit by bandwidth used, number of messages submitted, or
    number of addresses posted to. I would imagine that 30,000 members
    would trigger on either of bandwidth or number of addresses for
    typical limits.

    There are other potential problems, but server policy is the place to
    start looking. And many of the other problems will require talking to
    someserver.net, anyway.

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&fileúq04.051.htp
    may be relevant. Also the thread at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/038195.html
    referenced in that FAQ.

    Vikram> Do I need to resend the message?

    No, that will probably make things worse, and definitely not until
    you've resolved the problem.

    University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
  • Vikram Goyal at May 10, 2006 at 1:27 pm
    Thanks guys. The problem was with someserver.net which limited the number of
    emails to 1000 per day.

    Thanks for all the help and pointers.

    Regards,
    Vikram

    Vikram> May 7 05:07:16 ip-68-178-242-231 sendmail[12991]:
    Vikram> k474oTaH027069: to=<Several Emails>, delay:48:40,
    Vikram> xdelay�:00:00, mailer=relay, pri687906,
    Vikram> relay=someserver.net, dsn=4.0.0, statÞferred: Connection
    Vikram> reset by someserver.net

    Vikram> The last two sections bother me. Are the messages only
    Vikram> deferred for a little time and will be resent?

    Yes. Typical delay is something like 4 hours, IIRC.

    Vikram> Why is the connection reset by someserver.net?

    You'll have to ask someserver.net. Many hosting services will limit
    the amount of mail you can send in a given time period. It is
    possible to limit by bandwidth used, number of messages submitted, or
    number of addresses posted to. I would imagine that 30,000 members
    would trigger on either of bandwidth or number of addresses for
    typical limits.

    There are other potential problems, but server policy is the place to
    start looking. And many of the other problems will require talking to
    someserver.net, anyway.

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&fileúq04.051.htp
    may be relevant. Also the thread at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/038195.html
    referenced in that FAQ.

    Vikram> Do I need to resend the message?

    No, that will probably make things worse, and definitely not until
    you've resolved the problem.

    --
    School of Systems and Information Engineering
    http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
    University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573
    JAPAN

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 8, '06 at 10:54a