digests?

Thanks

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at May 5, 2006 at 8:24 pm

    At 2:29 PM -0400 2006-05-05, Steve Campbell wrote:

    I really like how this list sends digests, in particular, how the individual
    emails are 'attached' as separate emails. Could someone provide the details
    of how this is done?
    It's an Internet standard for MIME-formatted digests. I could
    point you at the RFC that specifies the standard, but I don't know if
    that would help you very much.
    And whether it is related to my particular MUA (Outlook
    Express)? Is it something that can be done through the normal UI for
    digests?
    It can be done for any program that generates digests which are
    then sent out by e-mail to recipients. Mailman does it, but so do
    many other mailing list management (MLM) packages.

    Of course, to make it look right, it does require support from
    the client side -- they need to understand how to interpret the
    formatting correctly, so that they can then present the digest to the
    user in a way that makes sense.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Dragon at May 5, 2006 at 8:38 pm
    Steve Campbell sent the message below at 11:29 5/5/2006:
    I really like how this list sends digests, in particular, how the individual
    emails are 'attached' as separate emails. Could someone provide the details
    of how this is done? And whether it is related to my particular MUA (Outlook
    Express)? Is it something that can be done through the normal UI for
    digests?

    Mailman can send digests as either a text/plain format with all of
    the posts appended one after the other in a single mail message or in
    MIME format where you get a multipart/digest message.

    You are obviously receiving the digest in MIME format which most
    modern MUA programs understand and can handle. The way a particular
    MUA handles such messages varies from one to the next. The text/plain
    version would typically be used by somebody who is using an older MUA
    that does not recognize the multipart/digest format.

    The actual details of the multipart/digest MIME format are set out
    somewhere within RFC2045-2049 though I have not looked at them
    closely enough to tell you exactly where that information would be.
    You can find plain text versions of these documents by going here:

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

    Dragon

  • Mark Sapiro at May 10, 2006 at 4:15 pm

    Steve Campbell wrote:
    I really like how this list sends digests, in particular, how the individual
    emails are 'attached' as separate emails. Could someone provide the details
    of how this is done?

    There are a couple of other good answers in this thread, but they don't
    address the "how" which is that this is a user option "Get MIME or
    Plain Text Digests?" set on the user's options page and reflected as
    the "plain" setting on the admin Membership List.

    The default for new users is the mime_is_default_digest setting on the
    admin Digest options page.

  • Steve Campbell at May 10, 2006 at 5:18 pm
    Mr. Sapiro,

    Thanks again.

    I really like how this list sends digests, in particular, how the
    individual
    emails are 'attached' as separate emails. Could someone provide the
    details
    of how this is done?

    There are a couple of other good answers in this thread, but they don't
    address the "how" which is that this is a user option "Get MIME or
    Plain Text Digests?" set on the user's options page and reflected as
    the "plain" setting on the admin Membership List.

    The default for new users is the mime_is_default_digest setting on the
    admin Digest options page.
    This stuff is really amazing! I am just discovering what most of these items
    mean after setting up a test site to play with.

    Steve Campbell
    campbell at cnpapers.com
    Charleston Newspapers

groupmailman-users @