anyone knows where to find rpms for the latest version of mailman?
I need for CentOS 4.3

Many thanks
Oliver

--
Oliver Schulze L.
<oliver at samera.com.py>

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at May 5, 2006 at 8:27 pm

    At 12:55 PM -0400 2006-05-05, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:

    anyone knows where to find rpms for the latest version of mailman?
    I need for CentOS 4.3
    Try looking on their pages, and using their resources for RPMs.
    We do not provide any binary package versions of Mailman, and we
    don't support any modifications that may have been made by someone
    who created a binary packaged version of Mailman.

    We support the version of Mailman that is available in our
    tarballs from our servers, and which you can install from source on
    your own server. Alternatively, you could pay someone else to
    install that for you, or you could use a service provided by someone
    else, etc....

    To the degree that a binary packaged version of Mailman looks,
    smells, and feels just like the version that we make available in
    source form in our tarballs on our servers, we can provide support.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Oliver Schulze L. at May 11, 2006 at 6:33 pm
    Hi Brad,
    I have been reading the patches from RedHat to mailman 2.1.5
    Many of them are modification for RH and/or bug patches.

    But there is one patch that I found important, and it is the
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) patch.

    Does mailman 2.1.8 support FHS?

    Many thanks
    Oliver

    Brad Knowles wrote:
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at May 11, 2006 at 6:41 pm

    Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
    But there is one patch that I found important, and it is the
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) patch.

    Does mailman 2.1.8 support FHS?
    No.

    All we have at present, including 2.1.8, are the config options

    --prefix=dir
    --exec-prefix=dir
    --with-var-prefix=dir

  • Oliver Schulze L. at May 11, 2006 at 11:57 pm
    Hi Mark,
    thanks for answering.

    I'm a litle late to the FHS discusion, do you know why the FHS patch
    from RH was not accepted?
    http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-developers at python.org/msg08110.html

    Should I post the question to the -developers list?

    Thanks
    Oliver

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
    But there is one patch that I found important, and it is the
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) patch.

    Does mailman 2.1.8 support FHS?
    No.

    All we have at present, including 2.1.8, are the config options

    --prefix=dir
    --exec-prefix=dir
    --with-var-prefix=dir
    --
    Oliver Schulze L.
    <oliver at samera.com.py>
  • Mark Sapiro at May 12, 2006 at 12:18 am

    Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
    I'm a litle late to the FHS discusion, do you know why the FHS patch
    from RH was not accepted?
    http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-developers at python.org/msg08110.html
    At the time John developed the patch, Tokio was pretty much the only
    person actively working on the 2.1.x branch. The necessary 'additional
    testing' mentioned in the above referenced thread was not done for
    lack of resources. This doesn't mean the patch is dead - it is still
    potentially a candidate for 2.2.

  • Oliver Schulze L. at May 12, 2006 at 3:10 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    At the time John developed the patch, Tokio was pretty much the only
    person actively working on the 2.1.x branch. The necessary 'additional
    testing' mentioned in the above referenced thread was not done for
    lack of resources. This doesn't mean the patch is dead - it is still
    potentially a candidate for 2.2.
    I understand.
    Maybe the patch can be included (with a big warning) in the next alpha
    release of
    mailman 2.1.x so that people can test it.
    I think that if the patch does not change the behavior of the configure
    script until it
    is told to do so, it can be a nice addition to mailman. Because people
    who does not
    use it, won't be affected.

    Personally, I can test on RH Linux, from RH9 to RHEL 2.1/3/4

    Thanks
    Oliver

    --
    Oliver Schulze L.
    <oliver at samera.com.py>

    Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
    anyone knows where to find rpms for the latest version of mailman?
    I need for CentOS 4.3
    I can't answer your question directly, but if you don't find the rpms
    you are looking for, it's not very difficult to build your own. Just
    grab the latest mailman source rpm for CentOS or RHEL and update the
    spec file to build mailman 2.1.8 instead of 2.1.5.

    You'll want to make a few small tweaks, like removing patches for the
    security issues that have been fixed in mailman between 2.1.5 and
    2.1.8 as well as update the python Requires: from 2.2 to 2.3 (I
    believe that's what mailman now requires).

    The last one isn't strictly necessary as it appears that CentOS 4.3
    includes python 2.3 already, but it will help if you decide later to
    try and rebuild your source rpm for another system with an older
    python.

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    -- Mohandas Gandhi
  • Oliver Schulze L. at May 8, 2006 at 5:25 pm
    Thanks for the tips.
    Will start working on a solution right now.

    Oliver

    Todd Zullinger wrote:

    Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
    anyone knows where to find rpms for the latest version of mailman?
    I need for CentOS 4.3
    I can't answer your question directly, but if you don't find the rpms
    you are looking for, it's not very difficult to build your own. Just
    grab the latest mailman source rpm for CentOS or RHEL and update the
    spec file to build mailman 2.1.8 instead of 2.1.5.
    --
    Oliver Schulze L.
    <oliver at samera.com.py>
  • Dewhirst, Rob at May 8, 2006 at 3:32 pm

    anyone knows where to find rpms for the latest version of mailman?
    I need for CentOS 4.3
    the first software I built from source on linux was mailman, and I did
    this because I could not get the RPMs to work right. Just FYI.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 5, '06 at 4:55p
activeMay 12, '06 at 3:10a