I recently installed Mailman 2.1.8 using Postfix 2.1.5 on Debian 3.1 (x86).
I have configured a few test lists on multiple domains on the system. The
virtual hosts are configured and the web ui for list creation is recognizing
the virtual hosts and creating the lists accordingly. I also subscribed a
few email addresses to the lists.

I sent a number of test emails to the test list, the email is hitting the
mailman server and is being processed by mailman and making it into the list
archives. However, mailman is not sending any emails out. It doesn't
appear to be sending any welcome message, email confirmation, or list
broadcasts. I have tried both sendmail and SMTPDirect modes, both end with
the same results.

The error log is empty and the subscribe log contains the subscription
requests, however the target email addresses never receive an email (and the
system log doesn't show the email even being tried to send). I've run
through the troubleshooting FAQs and everything listed in the FAQs checks
out (as far as I can tell).

What additional information would be needed in order to further troubleshoot
this problem?

Thank you,
Jason Z.

Search Discussions

  • Ralf Hildebrandt at May 5, 2006 at 9:24 pm

    * Jason Z <jzmatrix78 at gmail.com>:
    I recently installed Mailman 2.1.8 using Postfix 2.1.5 on Debian 3.1 (x86).
    I have configured a few test lists on multiple domains on the system. The
    virtual hosts are configured and the web ui for list creation is recognizing
    the virtual hosts and creating the lists accordingly. I also subscribed a
    few email addresses to the lists.

    I sent a number of test emails to the test list, the email is hitting the
    mailman server and is being processed by mailman and making it into the list
    archives. However, mailman is not sending any emails out. It doesn't
    appear to be sending any welcome message, email confirmation, or list
    broadcasts. I have tried both sendmail and SMTPDirect modes, both end with
    the same results.
    Is the queuerunner running?

    Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
    Charite - Universit?tsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
    Gemeinsame Einrichtung von FU- und HU-Berlin Fax. +49 (0)30-450 570-962
    IT-Zentrum Standort CBF send no mail to spamtrap at charite.de
  • Ian C. Purdie at May 5, 2006 at 9:43 pm

    Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

    * Jason Z <jzmatrix78 at gmail.com>:
    I sent a number of test emails to the test list, the email is hitting the
    mailman server and is being processed by mailman and making it into the list
    archives. However, mailman is not sending any emails out. It doesn't
    appear to be sending any welcome message, email confirmation, or list
    broadcasts. I have tried both sendmail and SMTPDirect modes, both end with
    the same results.
    Is the queuerunner running?

    I'm having the exact same problem but only have access to the administrative
    interface.

    Ian C. Purdie
    Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia
  • Jason Z at May 5, 2006 at 9:49 pm

    I recently installed Mailman 2.1.8 using Postfix 2.1.5 on Debian 3.1(x86).
    I have configured a few test lists on multiple domains on the
    system. The
    virtual hosts are configured and the web ui for list creation is
    recognizing
    the virtual hosts and creating the lists accordingly. I also
    subscribed a
    few email addresses to the lists.

    I sent a number of test emails to the test list, the email is hitting the
    mailman server and is being processed by mailman and making it into the list
    archives. However, mailman is not sending any emails out. It doesn't
    appear to be sending any welcome message, email confirmation, or list
    broadcasts. I have tried both sendmail and SMTPDirect modes, both end with
    the same results.
    Is the queuerunner running?
    All of the qrunner processes were active with the exception of the
    OutgoingRunner. I tried starting that by hand and it didn't seem very handy
    (error messages below). It keeps mentioning the Sendmail.py delivery module
    shouldn't be used (currently I'm configured for the SMTPDirect mode) so I'm
    assuming this qrunner process shouldn't be active.

    Error message generated when a message was sent to the list (or a user
    subscription was submitted):
    -----------------
    May 05 17:47:06 2006 (11790) Uncaught runner exception: Use of the
    Sendmail.py delivery module is highly discouraged
    May 05 17:47:06 2006 (11790) Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 73, in
    _dispose
    self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py", line 71, in
    process
    assert 0, 'Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly discouraged'
    AssertionError: Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly discouraged

    May 05 17:47:07 2006 (11790) SHUNTING:
    1146865625.5062881+6ad85e4de6599e109e22f1bea4c770dbe0ccb02f
  • Patrick Bogen at May 6, 2006 at 4:43 am

    All of the qrunner processes were active with the exception of the
    OutgoingRunner. I tried starting that by hand and it didn't seem very handy
    (error messages below). It keeps mentioning the Sendmail.py delivery module
    shouldn't be used (currently I'm configured for the SMTPDirect mode) so I'm
    assuming this qrunner process shouldn't be active.
    Right, so, OutgoingRunner is responsible for passing messages from
    Mailman to SMTP. This is why you weren't getting anything sent.
[...]

    It looks like you should double-check your config and make sure you're
    using SMTPDirect and not Sendmail.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Mark Sapiro at May 10, 2006 at 4:37 pm

    Jason Z wrote:
    All of the qrunner processes were active with the exception of the
    OutgoingRunner. I tried starting that by hand and it didn't seem very handy
    (error messages below). It keeps mentioning the Sendmail.py delivery module
    shouldn't be used (currently I'm configured for the SMTPDirect mode) so I'm
    assuming this qrunner process shouldn't be active.

    OutgoingRunner is absolutely required. The Sendmail delivery module is
    intentionally broken (by the 'assert' in the below error), and needs
    to be edited per the instructions within it to work, but just don't
    use it.

[...]

    OutgoingRunner thinks you are using Sendmail, not SMTPDirect. What are
    the settings for DELIVERY_MODULE in both Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py?
    The setting in Defaults.py should be

    DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'

    and there should be nothing in mm_cfg.py.

    Did you do 'bin/mailmanctl restart' after changing mm_cfg.py?

    Also, referencing another post, the 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' logs are
    written only by SMTPDirect, not by Sendmail.

  • Jason Z at May 5, 2006 at 9:24 pm

    requests, however the target email addresses never receive an email (and the
    system log doesn't show the email even being tried to send). I've run
    There should be an smtp (and, I think, smtp-error) log alongside error
    and subscribe, etc. Can you check what these say?

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
    Those files don't exist. The only files I have in mailman/logs is: error