FAQ
The listservs created before i started managing the lists allowed the
moderators to login and access the admin pages without being prompted for
the admin password. I can not recreate this with the new lists i create, how
can i recreate this option?

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at May 5, 2006 at 12:09 am

    At 3:35 PM -0700 2006-05-04, The League CA Cities wrote:

    The listservs created before i started managing the lists allowed the
    moderators to login and access the admin pages without being prompted for
    the admin password. I can not recreate this with the new lists i create, how
    can i recreate this option?
    If you have only the list moderator password, the only thing you
    can do is to perform list moderation tasks. You will not be able to
    log into the general admin page for that list, or perform any of the
    broader list administration tasks.

    If you have the list administrator password, you can log into the
    list moderator page and the list admin page, and you can perform all
    list moderation functions as well as all list administration
    functions. The same password will work in both places.

    If you have the site administrator password, you can log into the
    list moderator page or list administrator page for any list on that
    server, and perform all the appropriate tasks. The same password
    will work for all lists.


    So, if you want your list moderators to also be able to do list
    administration, then give them the list administration password and
    make them list administrators and not just list moderators.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • The League CA Cities at May 5, 2006 at 5:05 pm
    Brad i completely understand your explaination, but my current lists have
    two passwords one for the admin and one for my moderators. When a moderator
    logins they can click on the link at the bottom to go to admin pages and it
    will bring up the admin section without prompting for a password.

    I am not asking if this is possible because my current lists are setup this
    way I am asking how do i recreate this for my new lists.


    On 5/4/06, Brad Knowles wrote:
    At 3:35 PM -0700 2006-05-04, The League CA Cities wrote:

    The listservs created before i started managing the lists allowed the
    moderators to login and access the admin pages without being prompted for
    the admin password. I can not recreate this with the new lists i
    create, how
    can i recreate this option?
    If you have only the list moderator password, the only thing you
    can do is to perform list moderation tasks. You will not be able to
    log into the general admin page for that list, or perform any of the
    broader list administration tasks.

    If you have the list administrator password, you can log into the
    list moderator page and the list admin page, and you can perform all
    list moderation functions as well as all list administration
    functions. The same password will work in both places.

    If you have the site administrator password, you can log into the
    list moderator page or list administrator page for any list on that
    server, and perform all the appropriate tasks. The same password
    will work for all lists.


    So, if you want your list moderators to also be able to do list
    administration, then give them the list administration password and
    make them list administrators and not just list moderators.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Brad Knowles at May 5, 2006 at 5:47 pm

    At 10:05 AM -0700 2006-05-05, The League CA Cities wrote:

    Brad i completely understand your explaination, but my current lists have
    two passwords one for the admin and one for my moderators. When a
    moderator logins they can click on the link at the bottom to go to admin
    pages and it will bring up the admin section without prompting for a
    password.
    That should not be happening. I don't understand why you're
    seeing this behaviour, but this is a direct violation of the security
    policy that is implemented in the Mailman code.

    It seems to me that something has gone horribly wrong with your
    installation.
    I am not asking if this is possible because my current lists are setup
    this way I am asking how do i recreate this for my new lists.
    See above. It should not be possible to do what you ask, at
    least not without modifying the source code to remove the appropriate
    security checks.


    If you want your list moderators to be able to perform list
    administration tasks, then give them the list admin password and make
    them list administrators.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Dragon at May 5, 2006 at 5:56 pm
    The League CA Cities sent the message below at 10:05 5/5/2006:
    Brad i completely understand your explaination, but my current lists have
    two passwords one for the admin and one for my moderators. When a moderator
    logins they can click on the link at the bottom to go to admin pages and it
    will bring up the admin section without prompting for a password.

    I am not asking if this is possible because my current lists are setup this
    way I am asking how do i recreate this for my new lists.
    ---------------- End original message. ---------------------

    It sounds to me like the administrator password and moderator
    password are set to the same value.

    That's the only way I can think of to make the list behave in that manner.

    IIRC, mailman uses the greatest level of access it can provide based
    on the password given. So if the two passwords are set to the same
    value, you have given the moderators administrator level access.

    Dragon

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Venimus, Saltavimus, Bibimus (et naribus canium capti sumus)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Mark Sapiro at May 5, 2006 at 5:57 pm

    The League CA Cities wrote:
    Brad i completely understand your explaination, but my current lists have
    two passwords one for the admin and one for my moderators.

    Two *different* passwords? It doesn't seem like it.

    When a moderator
    logins they can click on the link at the bottom to go to admin pages and it
    will bring up the admin section without prompting for a password.

    Maybe because they used a list admin password to log in to the
    moderator page?

    I am not asking if this is possible because my current lists are setup this
    way I am asking how do i recreate this for my new lists.

    Set one list admin password and have the admin and the moderators use
    that one password.


    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 4, '06 at 10:35p
activeMay 5, '06 at 5:57p
posts6
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase