FAQ
I just joined this list. If this question has already been addressed,
please point me to where I can find it (I couldn't find it in the archives).

I live in a small (9 people) housing co-op. We've been using a yahoogroup
for about 2 years and have not only residents, but also some close friends
on the list. We decided we really neeed two lists, one for just
owners/residents and one for announcements and/or low-traffic discussion
about events - this one for our friends. So very small.

I suggested using mailman hosted by mayfirst.org and that was accepted. We
now have two lists. Problem is, it's not like yahoogroups. I don't care,
but I need some info to back up my contention that it's better to be using
an open souce product we can partner on developing than be using "the man"
with ads and not ownership of our own stuff and such.

Is there anything like this, addressing the supposed reasons to stay with
yahoogroups instead of mailman?

Thanks!
ted


--
Humanize the Earth! http://tedernst.com
Open more space! http://www.openspaceworld.org
Chicago event July 14-16: http://moreandmore.us/
skype: TedErnst
google talk/jabber: tedernst at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at May 3, 2006 at 5:00 am

    At 9:46 PM -0500 2006-05-02, Ted Ernst wrote:

    Is there anything like this, addressing the supposed reasons to stay with
    yahoogroups instead of mailman?
    From the Mailman side, the canonical answer is FAQ 1.26 at
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.026.htp>.

    I can pretty much guarantee you that some of these things will
    never be integrated into Mailman.


    Someone could certainly take Mailman and make it a component of a
    system like Yahoo!Groups, and then make that system available either
    as a freely available package or as a paid system, but that would be
    beyond the scope of Mailman itself.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • John W. Baxter at May 3, 2006 at 2:52 pm

    On 5/2/06 10:00 PM, "Brad Knowles" wrote:

    From the Mailman side, the canonical answer is FAQ 1.26 at
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.026.htp>.
    I *think* that the m2f discussion in the above article is stale. The m2f
    "stable" release seems to be at 1.01. (Their web site and my habits for
    reading web sites do not correspond well.)

    I'm not sure enough to try to make a change.

    --John
  • Glenn Sieb at May 4, 2006 at 1:49 am

    Brad Knowles said the following on 5/3/2006 1:00 AM:
    From the Mailman side, the canonical answer is FAQ 1.26 at
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.026.htp>.

    I can pretty much guarantee you that some of these things will
    never be integrated into Mailman.

    Someone could certainly take Mailman and make it a component of a
    system like Yahoo!Groups, and then make that system available either
    as a freely available package or as a paid system, but that would be
    beyond the scope of Mailman itself.
    I think the biggest thing I hear complaints about on my MM server, is
    that there's no way to configure a monthly "rules" mailing without
    requiring sysadmin (i.e. my) intervention with crude hacks with cronjobs
    and such. I've got a few lists where such monthly mailings are not just
    handy, they're downright required. :-/

    Will there be anything forthcoming in Mailman that will let the mailing
    list owners set stuff like that up without requiring sysadmin
    intervention? Just wondering.. :)

    Thanks!
    Best,
    --Glenn

    --
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
  • Brad Knowles at May 4, 2006 at 3:12 am

    At 9:49 PM -0400 2006-05-03, Glenn Sieb wrote:

    Will there be anything forthcoming in Mailman that will let the mailing
    list owners set stuff like that up without requiring sysadmin
    intervention? Just wondering.. :)
    This might be something that could be addressed with Mailman3.
    You'd have to check the wiki and other Mailman3 resources to see if
    this is something that has been explicitly named as part of the
    plans, and you should also confirm that there is an RFE that has been
    filed at SourceForge.

    I doubt this will be addressed before Mailman3, but I might be surprised.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Christopher X. Candreva at May 3, 2006 at 11:21 am

    On Tue, 2 May 2006, Ted Ernst wrote:

    I suggested using mailman hosted by mayfirst.org and that was accepted. We
    now have two lists. Problem is, it's not like yahoogroups. I don't care,
    What aspect of Yahoogroups is it that they need ? No two things are exactly
    like, so either there is a particular feature or features they want, or they
    just want Yahoogropus.


    ==========================================================
    Chris Candreva -- chris at westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
    WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
    http://www.westnet.com/
  • Ted Ernst at May 3, 2006 at 2:09 pm

    On 5/3/06, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
    On Tue, 2 May 2006, Ted Ernst wrote:

    I suggested using mailman hosted by mayfirst.org and that was accepted. We
    now have two lists. Problem is, it's not like yahoogroups. I don't care,
    What aspect of Yahoogroups is it that they need ? No two things are exactly
    like, so either there is a particular feature or features they want, or they
    just want Yahoogropus.
    I'm asking for clarification. I don't think it's the calendar and
    file space and such. One objection raised was that mailman doesn't
    know that a person can have multiple email addresses so it takes some
    finagling to get forwarding set up right, and then we admins can't see
    how many actual people are on the list, because some people are listed
    multiple times.

    --
    Humanize the Earth! http://tedernst.com
    Open more space! http://www.openspaceworld.org
    Chicago event July 14-16: http://moreandmore.us/
    skype: TedErnst
    google talk/jabber: tedernst at gmail.com
  • Mark Sapiro at May 3, 2006 at 2:47 pm

    Ted Ernst wrote:
    One objection raised was that mailman doesn't
    know that a person can have multiple email addresses so it takes some
    finagling to get forwarding set up right, and then we admins can't see
    how many actual people are on the list, because some people are listed
    multiple times.

    Yes, this is a problem with Mailman. It will probably change
    eventually, but not before Mailman 3.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 3, '06 at 2:46a
activeMay 4, '06 at 3:12a
posts8
users6
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase