I am doing a new Mailman installation on Red Hat.

I am doing the install as a member of the Mailman group.

I have made sure that the installation directory can be written to by that
group.

I have run 'configure' and 'make' successfullly.

When I run 'make install', I get the following:

[chris at gatsby mailman-2.1.8]$ make install
Creating architecture independent directories...
chmod o-r /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/mailman/archives/private':
Operation not permitted
make: *** [doinstall] Error 1

So, assuming that the problem was changing the permissions for the
archives/private directory, I made the change as root and then went back to
do the 'make install'. I get the same message, even though I manually had
changed the permissions.

If I run check_perms, I get this:

[root at gatsby bin]# ./check_perms
Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
This could allow other users on your system to read private
archives.
If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
installation manual on how to fix this.
No problems found

Can someone give me some suggestions?

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 28, 2006 at 8:03 pm

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    I am doing the install as a member of the Mailman group.

    I have made sure that the installation directory can be written to by that
    group.

    I have run 'configure' and 'make' successfullly.

    When I run 'make install', I get the following:

    [chris at gatsby mailman-2.1.8]$ make install
    Creating architecture independent directories...
    chmod o-r /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
    chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/mailman/archives/private':
    Operation not permitted
    make: *** [doinstall] Error 1

    So, assuming that the problem was changing the permissions for the
    archives/private directory, I made the change as root and then went back to
    do the 'make install'. I get the same message, even though I manually had
    changed the permissions.

    That chmod is done unconditionally whether or not it is required. For
    whatever reason, the user running make install does not have
    permission to do the chmod on the /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
    directory.

    You have a few choices to finish the install:
    - run make install as root or as some user that does have permission
    to do the chmod.
    - maybe chown /usr/local/mailman/archives/private to the user who's
    running make install or figure out why the installing user doesn't
    have permission and correct that.
    - remove the line
    chmod o-r $(DESTDIR)$(var_prefix)/archives/private
    from the doinstall section of Makefile in the unpack directory
    If I run check_perms, I get this:

    [root at gatsby bin]# ./check_perms
    Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
    This could allow other users on your system to read private
    archives.
    If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
    installation manual on how to fix this.
    No problems found

    Don't worry about this one. check_perms probably shouldn't report it.
    It's not really possible to have public archives at all within the
    present Mailman framework without having the archives/private
    directory be searchable by the web browser. See the thread that starts
    at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-April/050591.html>
    for more on this.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 28, '06 at 7:20p
activeApr 28, '06 at 8:03p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Christopher Adams: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post