I have postfix set up on FreeBSD with virtual mailbox domains (i.e. mailboxes don't map to freeBSD accounts). All the documentation I have found about Mailman talks about virtual alias domains. I haven't been able to find any detailed information on how mailman should be set up in such circumstances despite much googling.

So I am trying to set up virtual alias domains for mailman to handle alongside the existing virtual mailbox domains. I'm asking on the Postfix mailing list if this is wise (so far not sure if it will work at all!). I was wondering if anyone here had any experience getting mailman working with virtual mailbox domains and would be able to pass on any wisdom.

Cheers,

Duncan

Search Discussions

  • Adam Mattina at Apr 25, 2006 at 5:05 pm
    Duncan,
    I'm not sure if I understand what the difference is between "virtual
    email domains" and "virtual alias domains" but I have setup; and am
    running the following:

    Linux 2.6/Apache2/Postfix/mySQL/vmailAdmin/mailman using maildrop to
    deliver mail.

    mySQL handles the domains on the box and individual user account
    information. This is managed by vmailAdmin.

    Mailman is setup to run on any of the domains I setup on the box and can
    be accessed via: mailman.domain1.com, mailman.domain2.com, etc.

    The biggest PIA was to get the Postfix config file correct. I had to
    tell postfix where everything was and since half of my mail system is in
    a DB (individual users and their info) and the other half in mailman's
    files(mailing list information)...it was tricky.

    Post your questions to the list and I'll do my best to advise if you
    need it. I'm sure others can help as well and it took me a while to get
    working properly. It's a non-trivial setup and could be a rocky ride if
    it's your first time.

    -Adam
    "You never forget your first time."

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/amattina%40layer8gr
    oup.com

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 24, '06 at 9:37p
activeApr 25, '06 at 5:05p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Adam Mattina: 1 post Duncan Drury: 1 post