FAQ
I had mailman-2.1.5 working fine on my Slackware 10.2 box for a while. Now all of a sudden it doesn't send or archive messages. I know that my ISP (using DSL) made some changes that originally had my system down. Now I am able to send and receive mail with postfix but no messages are being sent to the archives for my list or out to my users. There are qrunners running:

mailman 748 0.0 0.6 9120 5780 ? S Apr11 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=RetryRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3127 0.0 0.6 9120 5780 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=ArchRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3128 0.0 0.6 9128 5804 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=BounceRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3129 0.0 0.6 9092 5788 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=CommandRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3130 0.0 0.6 9092 5784 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=IncomingRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3131 0.0 0.6 9104 5812 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=NewsRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3132 0.0 0.6 9144 5856 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=OutgoingRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3133 0.0 0.6 9116 5784 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=VirginRunner:0:1 -s
mailman 3134 0.0 0.6 9120 5780 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=RetryRunner:0:1 -s
root 3275 0.0 0.0 1760 600 pts/4 R+ 03:20 0:00 grep qrunner

Nothing is getting logged to my logs except the initial startup stuff. I can go to my admin pages for the list just fine, but since I reinstalled, I get only a message that there no messages have been sent to the list. I have restarted mailmanctl to no avail. I run check_perms and it gets no errors, but I am wondering if the files are correctly owned. Would incorrect ownership of files log to the error log?

Vic

Search Discussions

  • Peter M Von Büren at Apr 12, 2006 at 9:56 am

    Vicki Stanfield wrote:
    I had mailman-2.1.5 working fine on my Slackware 10.2 box for a while. Now all of a sudden it doesn't send or archive messages. I know that my ISP (using DSL) made some changes that originally had my system down. Now I am able to send and receive mail with postfix but no messages are being sent to the archives for my list or out to my users. There are qrunners running:

    mailman 748 0.0 0.6 9120 5780 ? S Apr11 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=RetryRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3127 0.0 0.6 9120 5780 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=ArchRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3128 0.0 0.6 9128 5804 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=BounceRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3129 0.0 0.6 9092 5788 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=CommandRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3130 0.0 0.6 9092 5784 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=IncomingRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3131 0.0 0.6 9104 5812 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=NewsRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3132 0.0 0.6 9144 5856 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=OutgoingRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3133 0.0 0.6 9116 5784 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=VirginRunner:0:1 -s
    mailman 3134 0.0 0.6 9120 5780 ? S 02:48 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=RetryRunner:0:1 -s
    root 3275 0.0 0.0 1760 600 pts/4 R+ 03:20 0:00 grep qrunner

    Nothing is getting logged to my logs except the initial startup stuff. I can go to my admin pages for the list just fine, but since I reinstalled, I get only a message that there no messages have been sent to the list. I have restarted mailmanctl to no avail. I run check_perms and it gets no errors, but I am wondering if the files are correctly owned. Would incorrect ownership of files log to the error log?
    It would put a "Permission denied" Message in the error log, if there
    are no write permissions in the private archive directory for mailman.

    Peter
  • Vicki Stanfield at Apr 12, 2006 at 1:55 pm
    It would put a "Permission denied" Message in the error log, if
    there are no write permissions in the private archive directory for
    mailman.

    Peter


    So I have no idea how to troubleshoot when it simply doesn't work and
    there are no errors being logged.

    Any ideas?

    Vic
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 12, 2006 at 2:27 pm

    Vicki Stanfield wrote:
    So I have no idea how to troubleshoot when it simply doesn't work and
    there are no errors being logged.

    Your previous post showed two copies of RetryRunner. This is probably
    not the cause of your problem, but it should be cleaned up. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.068.htp>.

    Have you checked all the things in
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>?

    Are messages being queued anywhere? Check all the subdirectories of
    qfiles/

    Are messages even getting to Mailman? Check MTA logs.

    Can Mailman send at all? Try sending yourself a password reminder.

    I suggest at a minimimum you stop Mailman (mailmanctl stop), and make
    sure everything is stopped as in FAQ 4.68. Then remove any files from
    the locks/ directory and start Mailman. This may help if there were
    spurious locks, but at a minimum it will give you a clean start.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Vicki Stanfield at Apr 12, 2006 at 5:00 pm
    Sorry for top-posting, but the mail client I am using is obtuse.

    I was able to clean up the additional RetryRunner, but as you
    guessed, it didn't solve the problem.

    I ran through all the steps in the referenced URL, but it didn't fix
    it either. The messages don't appear to be being queued anywhere! I
    see the following in the /var/log/maillog of the mailman box when I
    try to post from my other email address (not on this box):

    Apr 12 12:53:54 thepenguin imapd[6760]: imap service init from
    127.0.0.1
    Apr 12 12:53:54 thepenguin imapd[6760]: Login user=vicki
    host=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
    Apr 12 12:53:56 thepenguin imapd[6760]: Logout user=vicki
    host=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
    Apr 12 12:55:03 thepenguin sm-mta[6794]: k3CGt2Ru006794: from=<vicki at stanfield.net>,
    size64, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20060412165510.C2EE14F58A at ws6-5.us4.outblaze.com>,
    proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=ws6-5.us4.outblaze.com
    [205.158.62.152]
    Apr 12 12:55:03 thepenguin sm-mta[6798]: k3CGt2Ru006794: to=<homegroup at thepenguin.org>,
    delay�:00:01, xdelay�:00:00, mailer=local, pri1277, dsn=2.0.0,
    stat=Sent

    I did receive the password reminder that I sent myself.

    I appreciate the help. Now what?

    Vicki
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 12, 2006 at 5:24 pm

    Vicki Stanfield wrote:

    Apr 12 12:55:03 thepenguin sm-mta[6794]: k3CGt2Ru006794: from=<vicki at stanfield.net>,
    size64, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20060412165510.C2EE14F58A at ws6-5.us4.outblaze.com>,
    proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=ws6-5.us4.outblaze.com
    [205.158.62.152]
    Apr 12 12:55:03 thepenguin sm-mta[6798]: k3CGt2Ru006794: to=<homegroup at thepenguin.org>,
    delay�:00:01, xdelay�:00:00, mailer=local, pri1277, dsn=2.0.0,
    stat=Sent

    Did this message wind up in a local mailbox 'homegroup' instead of
    being piped to Mailman?

    I did receive the password reminder that I sent myself.
    Good.

    Try creating a file containing a raw test message to the list with
    headers. Then run

    bin/inject -l listname filename

    where listname is the name of the list (homegroup?) and filename is the
    pathname of the file containing the test message. If this works, the
    MTA is not successfully delivering the mail to Mailman.

    You say you've gone through the steps in the FAQ. That includes
    checking aliases so I assume they are OK, but has postalias been run
    (you mentioned postfix in your original mail) to update the aliases.db
    file and is the mailman aliases file referenced in alias_maps in
    Postfix's main.cf?

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Vicki Stanfield at Apr 12, 2006 at 5:59 pm
    When I use inject, the message posts. What does that mean is wrong?

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Mark Sapiro"
    To: "Vicki Stanfield" , vonbueren at id.unibe.ch,
    mailman-users at python.org
    Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Can't get list to post messages
    Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:24:25 -0700


    Vicki Stanfield wrote:
    Apr 12 12:55:03 thepenguin sm-mta[6794]: k3CGt2Ru006794:
    from=,
    size64, class=0, nrcpts=1,
    msgid=<20060412165510.C2EE14F58A at ws6-5.us4.outblaze.com>,
    proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=ws6-5.us4.outblaze.com
    [205.158.62.152]
    Apr 12 12:55:03 thepenguin sm-mta[6798]: k3CGt2Ru006794:
    to=,
    delay�:00:01, xdelay�:00:00, mailer=local, pri1277,
    dsn=2.0.0,
    stat=Sent

    Did this message wind up in a local mailbox 'homegroup' instead of
    being piped to Mailman?

    I did receive the password reminder that I sent myself.
    Good.

    Try creating a file containing a raw test message to the list with
    headers. Then run

    bin/inject -l listname filename

    where listname is the name of the list (homegroup?) and filename is
    the
    pathname of the file containing the test message. If this works, the
    MTA is not successfully delivering the mail to Mailman.

    You say you've gone through the steps in the FAQ. That includes
    checking aliases so I assume they are OK, but has postalias been run
    (you mentioned postfix in your original mail) to update the
    aliases.db
    file and is the mailman aliases file referenced in alias_maps in
    Postfix's main.cf?

    --
    Mark Sapiro The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Patrick Bogen at Apr 12, 2006 at 6:04 pm

    On 4/12/06, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
    When I use inject, the message posts. What does that mean is wrong?
    This means that the message is not getting from Postfix to Mailman.
    As Mark said, you should double-check that your aliases are set
    properly, and that postfix is configured to make use of the aliases.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 12, 2006 at 6:19 pm

    Patrick Bogen wrote:
    On 4/12/06, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
    When I use inject, the message posts. What does that mean is wrong?
    This means that the message is not getting from Postfix to Mailman.
    As Mark said, you should double-check that your aliases are set
    properly, and that postfix is configured to make use of the aliases.

    Exactly. And, as I hinted previously, if you look in /var/mail/ or
    wherever your incoming mailboxes are, I suspect you'll find a
    'homegroup' mailbox that contains all your "posts".

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Vicki Stanfield at Apr 12, 2006 at 8:52 pm
    I can't seem to get the alias stuff set up right. Here is what I have
    done:


    cd /usr/local/mailman
    ran bin/genaliases
    chown mailman:mailman data/aliases*
    chmod g+w data/aliases*

    changed the alias_maps definition in main.cf to:

    alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
    hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

    verified that there were actually /etc/postfix/aliases and
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases files.

    restarted postfix and mailman

    Tried to send a test mail using mutt, but system just hangs.

    Oh, and I ran newaliases again just for the fun of it.

    Can you see what I am missing here?

    Vic
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 12, 2006 at 9:08 pm

    Vicki Stanfield wrote:
    I can't seem to get the alias stuff set up right. Here is what I have
    done:


    cd /usr/local/mailman
    ran bin/genaliases
    chown mailman:mailman data/aliases*
    chmod g+w data/aliases*

    changed the alias_maps definition in main.cf to:

    alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
    hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
    Do you have

    MTA = 'Postfix'

    in mm_cfg.py? Is the value of POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD in Defaults.py
    ('/usr/sbin/postalias') correct for your 'postalias' command, and if
    not have you provided the correct path in mm_cfg.py?

    verified that there were actually /etc/postfix/aliases and
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases files.

    How about /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db? As new or newer than
    'aliases'?

    restarted postfix and mailman

    Tried to send a test mail using mutt, but system just hangs.

    What does "just hangs" mean? What did Postfix do with the mail?

    Oh, and I ran newaliases again just for the fun of it.

    Can you see what I am missing here?
    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Vicki Stanfield at Apr 12, 2006 at 10:44 pm
    I got it working. I thought that there was an /etc/postfix/aliases.db, but that must have been the last time I rebuilt it.
    I ran postalias on /etc/postfix/aliases and it is working again. I appreciate your patience.

    Vic

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 12, '06 at 7:25a
activeApr 12, '06 at 10:44p
posts12
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase