I have a need to setup more than one of my virtual hosting customers
with a maillist. I have searched through the FAQ but am unable to find
anything regarding this issue. If I have missed it I would like to be
pointed in the right direction and If not here is my problem.

I have a web server with multiple domains each for a different customer.
At this stage I have one customer with a mailing list, although I have
not started subscribing members until I have this issue resolved. I now
have an additional two sites that wish to have a mailing list service.

The problem is I have configured general at abc.com and would now like to
create general at def.com and general at xyz.com. If I use the url from
def, I still get the abc info for general. I do expect this to happen as
the config files are configured for abc.

The question is how do I seperate out the lists and domains so that each
customer gets their own list information. Is this possible, and is so is
there a config page where I can egt more info. I am using apache and
postfix for my webserver and mail server.

any help would be apreciated

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 5, 2006 at 4:07 am

    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.047.htp>

    I have a web server with multiple domains each for a different customer.
    At this stage I have one customer with a mailing list, although I have
    not started subscribing members until I have this issue resolved. I now
    have an additional two sites that wish to have a mailing list service.

    The problem is I have configured general at abc.com and would now like to
    create general at def.com and general at xyz.com.

    This is a problem. Standard Mailman supports multiple, separate
    domains, but with the restriction that list names must be globally
    unique. If you want to support lists in different domains with the
    same list names, you either have to patch Mailman or run multiple
    instances of Mailman, one per domain. The above FAQ article points at
    some of the patches that have been developed for this. Also see the
    post at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2006-March/018629.html>
    (I just tried to add a pointer to this to the FAQ, but there has been
    an on and off permissions issue with FAQ updates lately which seems to
    be on again).

    If I use the url from
    abc.com www.abc.com/mailman/listinfo/general and substitute the abc with
    def, I still get the abc info for general. I do expect this to happen as
    the config files are configured for abc.

    The question is how do I seperate out the lists and domains so that each
    customer gets their own list information. Is this possible, and is so is
    there a config page where I can egt more info. I am using apache and
    postfix for my webserver and mail server.

    Again, if both the abc and def lists are to be named 'general', you
    either need to install a separate mailman instance in each domain or
    do some patching.

  • Steven Champeon at Apr 5, 2006 at 6:45 pm