We have compiled and installed per the instructions mailman using
postfix as the MTA. We can send mail fine using postfix command-line.
Also, the first few times we would get errors in the maillog about
the gid. We read up on that and have fixed it. But - now when
mailman should be sending notifications, etc - it does not. No errors
appear in the maillog either. Our aliases seem fine. I even tried
something else which produced interesting results...

Reading the aliases list, I tried this:

/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner johnlist

johnlist is a list i made successfully. i can make lists, subscribe
people, etc. through the httpd interface to mailman and command-line.

so - anyway - the first time i ran the above command, i received on my
console the very same error we were getting in the beginning - about
how the mail wrapper was being run by an unexpected user (in the way
we are configured, it expects mailman to run it.) So, I su to
mailman, run the command again like so:

/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner johnlist

and it behaves almost as if i were running commandline mail email at address.com

so i type "Test" and hit ctrl-D and it exits, no errors, etc. But -
still I get no mail.

Any input welcome!!!

JD

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 31, 2006 at 12:09 am

    John Durkin wrote:
    /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner johnlist

    and it behaves almost as if i were running commandline mail email at address.com

    so i type "Test" and hit ctrl-D and it exits, no errors, etc. But -
    still I get no mail.
    It's not quite like 'mail'. It expects stdin to be a complete message
    including all headers as well as the body.

    So are these messages piling up in queue entries in qfiles/in? If so,
    have you started mailman ('bin/mailmanctl start')?

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython