I have an announcement list with 45,000 members, when I send an email not
only does it severely overload the server but it also gets blocked from
performing DNS lookups after the first few thousand lookups.

It has been suggested that I set up a caching DNS server but that doesn't
look as easy as it sounds and I already am using bind so I would prefer just
tweaking that installation to do what I need if possible. Looking on the
internet it just isn't clear cut how to do this, especially in a way that
isn't going to mess with my current setup which is a typical Redhat Cpanel
setup hosting a fair amount of sites.

What have other people done in this instance?

Dana

Search Discussions

  • Carl Zwanzig at Mar 30, 2006 at 5:21 am

    In a flurry of recycled electrons, Dana Nevins wrote:

    I have an announcement list with 45,000 members, when I send an email not
    only does it severely overload the server but it also gets blocked from
    performing DNS lookups after the first few thousand lookups.
    Which MTA are you using? You may want to let mailman send it all to the
    MTA and have the MTA slow the delivery. Postfix has some rate controls
    (http://www.postfix.org/rate.html), I assume that most of the other
    MTAs do too.

    Or, I may be nuts :-).

    z!
  • Dana Nevins at Mar 30, 2006 at 8:31 am
    I am using the default Cpanel/exim configuration on redhat.

    Dana

    In a flurry of recycled electrons, Dana Nevins wrote:
    I have an announcement list with 45,000 members, when I send an email
    not only does it severely overload the server but it also gets blocked
    from performing DNS lookups after the first few thousand lookups.
    Which MTA are you using? You may want to let mailman send it all to the MTA
    and have the MTA slow the delivery. Postfix has some rate controls
    (http://www.postfix.org/rate.html), I assume that most of the other MTAs do
    too.

    Or, I may be nuts :-).

    z!

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 30, '06 at 4:48a
activeMar 30, '06 at 8:31a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Dana Nevins: 2 posts Carl Zwanzig: 1 post