# apache2
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName lists.python.mydebian

ServerAdmin webmaster at python.mydebian

Alias /images/mailman/ /var/lib/mailman/icons/
Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

<Directory "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public">
AddDefaultCharset Off
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/

RedirectMatch ^/$ /mailman/listinfo

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access_python_lists.log combined
</VirtualHost>

The problem is with the web interfaces.
On
http://lists.python.mydebian/mailman/listinfo

I get links of type:
http://lists.python.mydebian/lists.python.mydebian/mailman/admin

instead of
http://lists.python.mydebian/mailman/admin

Why?

The strange thing is the the *source* page has the correct links; the
same if I read the page with python httplib...

Thanks and regards Manlio Perillo

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 24, 2006 at 8:00 pm

    Manlio Perillo wrote:
    I have installed Mailman on my test machine (Debian Sarge on VMWare) but
    I have hit a strange problem.

    Here is my configuration:

    # mm_cfg.py
    MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'

    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http:/%s/mailman/'
    PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'
    What's this?? The only setting that's close is PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL
    which defaults to

    PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/images/mailman/'

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.python.mydebian'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.python.mydebian'
    if these are different from what's in Defaults.py, you also need

    and to be squeeky clean, you can precede this with
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear() to remove the entry set in Defaults.py, i.e.,

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    <snip>
    The problem is with the web interfaces.
    On
    http://lists.python.mydebian/mailman/listinfo

    I get links of type:
    http://lists.python.mydebian/lists.python.mydebian/mailman/admin

    instead of
    http://lists.python.mydebian/mailman/admin

    Why?

    The strange thing is the the *source* page has the correct links; the
    same if I read the page with python httplib...

    That is strange. If the source HTML has the correct link, why does your
    browser mung it? is the source link absolute - i.e., does it start
    with http://?

    Did you create the list before arriving at the above mm_cfg.py
    settings?. If so, the web_page_url list attribute is probably wrong.
    The easiest way to fix it is with bin/fix_url.py.

  • Manlio Perillo at Mar 25, 2006 at 10:39 am

    Mark Sapiro ha scritto:
    Manlio Perillo wrote:
    I have installed Mailman on my test machine (Debian Sarge on VMWare) but
    I have hit a strange problem.

    Here is my configuration:

    # mm_cfg.py
    MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'

    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http:/%s/mailman/'
    PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'
    What's this??
    [...]
    The configuration file is correct.

    <snip>
    The problem is with the web interfaces.
    On
    http://lists.python.mydebian/mailman/listinfo

    I get links of type:
    http://lists.python.mydebian/lists.python.mydebian/mailman/admin

    instead of
    http://lists.python.mydebian/mailman/admin

    Why?

    The strange thing is the the *source* page has the correct links; the
    same if I read the page with python httplib...

    That is strange. If the source HTML has the correct link, why does your
    browser mung it? is the source link absolute - i.e., does it start
    with http://?
    The link is correct:
    Did you create the list before arriving at the above mm_cfg.py
    settings?. If so, the web_page_url list attribute is probably wrong.
    The easiest way to fix it is with bin/fix_url.py.
    Already done, the problem is not here.

    I have done tests with lynx, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera;
    with all of them the browser add a lists.python.mydebian after the
    domain name...

    Moreover in a first installation (I have installed and removed the
    mailman package up to 3 times for testing purpose) all was ok (but the
    configuration was a bit different).

    Thanks and regards Manlio Perillo
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 25, 2006 at 3:06 pm

    Manlio Perillo wrote:
    Mark Sapiro ha scritto:
    Manlio Perillo wrote:
    PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'
    What's this??
    [...]
    The configuration file is correct.

    There is no such setting as PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL and if there were I
    would expect it to be a URL, not a path.

    And do you have something like

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    following your redefinitions of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST?

    The link is correct:
    I have done tests with lynx, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera;
    with all of them the browser add a lists.python.mydebian after the
    domain name...

    Does this only happen on admin pages? If it happens also to links on
    the admin overview, the listinfo overview or a specific listinfo page,
    perhaps you could give us a real URL so we can see the actual
    generated HTML.

    Or, you could try saving the HTML from one of the admin pages to a file
    and opening the file in your web browser. If that still has the
    problem, maybe you could make that file available to us via the web.

    Moreover in a first installation (I have installed and removed the
    mailman package up to 3 times for testing purpose) all was ok (but the
    configuration was a bit different).

    Specifically what was different? And are you installing from source or
    is this a debian or other package?

  • Manlio Perillo at Mar 25, 2006 at 4:58 pm

    Mark Sapiro ha scritto:
    [...]
    And do you have something like

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    following your redefinitions of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST?
    Yes, but I don't have a VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear().
    The link is correct:
    I have done tests with lynx, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera;
    with all of them the browser add a lists.python.mydebian after the
    domain name...

    Does this only happen on admin pages?
    No.
    I can't use any of the admin task, such as list creation.
    If it happens also to links on
    the admin overview, the listinfo overview or a specific listinfo page,
    perhaps you could give us a real URL so we can see the actual
    generated HTML.
    The actual generated HTML is ok.
    The link is correct.
    It is only the browser that seems to add that URL fragment.

    Here is an example using httplib (sorry, but the language is italian):
    import httplib
    con = httplib.HTTPConnection('lists.python.mydebian')
    con.request('GET', '/mailman/listinfo')
    r = con.getresponse()
    print r.status, r.reason
    200 OK