FAQ
I have the same question as a poster of nearly 3 years ago. So far I haven't
found any replies or an answer in a FAQ. You can view the old post at:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-May/029009.html

...and here is the body:

"Can I give the list moderator more permissions ?
say i want him to not only be able to approve moderated mail but also to
maintain the user database, subscribe/unsubscribe users in the mass
subscrition section ?

Just a kick in the right direction will be sufficient."

Thank you,

Ron

Search Discussions

  • Patrick Bogen at Feb 17, 2006 at 4:16 pm
    At least as a partial answer, I do not believe there is a way to
    change this without patching the mailman code (at least, not something
    obvious that I've seen.)

    Someone else may know more/better.

    - Patrick Bogen
    On 2/17/06, Ronald Nissley wrote:
    I have the same question as a poster of nearly 3 years ago. So far I haven't
    found any replies or an answer in a FAQ. You can view the old post at:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-May/029009.html

    ...and here is the body:

    "Can I give the list moderator more permissions ?
    say i want him to not only be able to approve moderated mail but also to
    maintain the user database, subscribe/unsubscribe users in the mass
    subscrition section ?

    Just a kick in the right direction will be sufficient."

    Thank you,

    Ron
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/pdbogen%40gmail.com

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 17, 2006 at 4:44 pm

    Ronald Nissley wrote:
    I have the same question as a poster of nearly 3 years ago. So far I haven't
    found any replies or an answer in a FAQ. You can view the old post at:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-May/029009.html

    ...and here is the body:

    "Can I give the list moderator more permissions ?
    say i want him to not only be able to approve moderated mail but also to
    maintain the user database, subscribe/unsubscribe users in the mass
    subscrition section ?

    I'm sure this has been discussed in other, more recent threads on this
    list, but the answer is simple. If you want a moderator to be able to
    administer the list, give her the admin password. See FAQs 3.45 and
    3.60 for more information.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 17, 2006 at 7:25 pm

    Ronald Nissley wrote:
    Fair enough...the issue is that I want some of the moderators to also have
    access to membership management without access to list functionality.
    Is there a good way to limit what a list admin can do?

    You can limit the pages available in the admin interface, but this is
    probably not satisfactory for various reasons.

    Look at ADMIN_CATEGORIES in Defaults.py. You can redefine this list in
    mm_cfg.py and leave pages out. This means there will be no link at the
    top of the admin pages, and if you try to go to one by URL, you get
    the General page instead.

    The issues with doing this are:

    If a page is not in the list, no one can go to it, even by URL except
    for General Options.

    Even if you remove 'general' from the list, the General Options page is
    still the default when you go to the admin pages so changes can always
    be made on that page.

    There is no way like this to remove or limit the "other administrative
    activities" links so you can still go to the "Edit the public HTML
    pages and text files" link.

    If not, I'll probably
    handle any membership management tasks myself. We run a few smaller lists,
    so it shouldn't be a big deal. My issue with giving the moderators list
    admin access is that because of their roles, they understand only enough
    about computers to get by, and frankly there is a trust factor. Not that I
    think they would intentionally "hose" a list, but I don't really think they
    appreciate how easy it would be to do so.

    People in this situation mostly tend to be afraid of screwing up, so if
    they have good instructions for the membership tasks they need to do,
    they probably won't touch anything else. It's not a guarantee though.

    Maybe my approach should focus more on getting good, consistent backups of
    Mailman configuration and data, and then give them the list admin passwords?

    That might be a good solution. If you seldom change a list, you could
    just use bin/config_list to dump the configuration every time you
    change it, and keep two or three generations of these.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Allan Hansen at Feb 19, 2006 at 1:05 am
    I have this same requirement. I was thinking of writing some CGI
    scripts that take commands from the moderator and then apply them
    to the lists via the mailman command line interface.

    My own reason for this is that some moderators are handling many
    lists, and going into each one with a password is taking too long.
    Instead, I'll let them in with a single password, and then have
    a dialog that lets them subscribe/unsubscribe/change address for
    multiple people/lists at a time.

    Allan Hansen
    At 11:25 -0800 2/17/06, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Ronald Nissley wrote:
    Fair enough...the issue is that I want some of the moderators to also have
    access to membership management without access to list functionality.
    Is there a good way to limit what a list admin can do?

    You can limit the pages available in the admin interface, but this is
    probably not satisfactory for various reasons.

    Look at ADMIN_CATEGORIES in Defaults.py. You can redefine this list in
    mm_cfg.py and leave pages out. This means there will be no link at the
    top of the admin pages, and if you try to go to one by URL, you get
    the General page instead.

    The issues with doing this are:

    If a page is not in the list, no one can go to it, even by URL except
    for General Options.

    Even if you remove 'general' from the list, the General Options page is
    still the default when you go to the admin pages so changes can always
    be made on that page.

    There is no way like this to remove or limit the "other administrative
    activities" links so you can still go to the "Edit the public HTML
    pages and text files" link.

    If not, I'll probably
    handle any membership management tasks myself. We run a few smaller lists,
    so it shouldn't be a big deal. My issue with giving the moderators list
    admin access is that because of their roles, they understand only enough
    about computers to get by, and frankly there is a trust factor. Not that I
    think they would intentionally "hose" a list, but I don't really think they
    appreciate how easy it would be to do so.

    People in this situation mostly tend to be afraid of screwing up, so if
    they have good instructions for the membership tasks they need to do,
    they probably won't touch anything else. It's not a guarantee though.

    Maybe my approach should focus more on getting good, consistent backups of
    Mailman configuration and data, and then give them the list admin passwords?

    That might be a good solution. If you seldom change a list, you could
    just use bin/config_list to dump the configuration every time you
    change it, and keep two or three generations of these.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
    --
    _________________________________________________________________
    Allan Hansen, Ph.D. |
    P.O. Box 2423, Cypress, CA 90630, U.S.A. |
    Work: Home: |
    Phone: +1-714/952-6015 +1-714/875-8870 |
    Fax: +1-714/952-6746 |
    Email: allan.hansen at ugs.com hansen at rc.org |
    WWW: http://www.ugs.com http://www.rc.org/ |
    _Anything is possible with the right tools and right information_|
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 19, 2006 at 6:41 am

    Allan Hansen wrote:
    I have this same requirement. I was thinking of writing some CGI
    scripts that take commands from the moderator and then apply them
    to the lists via the mailman command line interface.

    My own reason for this is that some moderators are handling many
    lists, and going into each one with a password is taking too long.
    Instead, I'll let them in with a single password, and then have
    a dialog that lets them subscribe/unsubscribe/change address for
    multiple people/lists at a time.

    Your approach is certainly viable, but here's another idea that may
    help in a case like yours.

    If the moderator uses a browser like Firefox for example that can
    remember passwords for a web site and can open a bookmark folder in
    tabs, she can create a bookmark folder containing links to the admindb
    pages for all the lists. Then if she selects the folder->open in tabs,
    this opens all the lists admindb pages at once, each in its own tab.
    Further if the password is saved and "automatically fill and submit"
    selected, the login is automatic. The one potential drawback is it
    generally requires all the moderator passwords for her lists to be the
    same, as passwords are remembered by site, not by page, at least in
    Firefox.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Allan Hansen at Feb 20, 2006 at 3:05 am
    Thank you, Mark, for you response and the incredible amount of
    support you provin on this list.

    In this case my own preference is also not to give the list
    moderator full admin access but to allow subscribes/unsubscribes.
    I thus will have to do it with homebrew scripts that provide just
    the right access.

    Allan
    At 22:41 -0800 2/18/06, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Allan Hansen wrote:
    I have this same requirement. I was thinking of writing some CGI
    scripts that take commands from the moderator and then apply them
    to the lists via the mailman command line interface.

    My own reason for this is that some moderators are handling many
    lists, and going into each one with a password is taking too long.
    Instead, I'll let them in with a single password, and then have
    a dialog that lets them subscribe/unsubscribe/change address for
    multiple people/lists at a time.

    Your approach is certainly viable, but here's another idea that may
    help in a case like yours.

    If the moderator uses a browser like Firefox for example that can
    remember passwords for a web site and can open a bookmark folder in
    tabs, she can create a bookmark folder containing links to the admindb
    pages for all the lists. Then if she selects the folder->open in tabs,
    this opens all the lists admindb pages at once, each in its own tab.
    Further if the password is saved and "automatically fill and submit"
    selected, the login is automatic. The one potential drawback is it
    generally requires all the moderator passwords for her lists to be the
    same, as passwords are remembered by site, not by page, at least in
    Firefox.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
    --
    _________________________________________________________________
    Allan Hansen, Ph.D. |
    P.O. Box 2423, Cypress, CA 90630, U.S.A. |
    Work: Home: |
    Phone: +1-714/952-6015 +1-714/875-8870 |
    Fax: +1-714/952-6746 |
    Email: allan.hansen at ugs.com hansen at rc.org |
    WWW: http://www.ugs.com http://www.rc.org/ |
    _Anything is possible with the right tools and right information_|

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 17, '06 at 3:12p
activeFeb 20, '06 at 3:05a
posts7
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase