I apologise if the subject has been handled before; I searched the
archives, but could not find what I wanted to know.

Since short, I am using an ADSL modem, which contains the firewall
as well. This modem grabs my IP address, and external access to
my web server is done by port forwarding. This works, no problem.

However, I myself cannot access my web server by it's fully qualified
name (stremen.xs4all.nl), but have to use an internal LAN address
(such as stremen.localnet). If I access my Mailman web pages, I
have to use this LAN address, however each time I click a related
link, this link points to the FQN, which then does not work;
each time I have to manually change the "stremen.xs4all.nl/" part to
"stremen.localnet/", which is quite annoying.

Is there a solution for this problem? Have I mis-configured Mailman?
Is this what VIRTUAL_HOSTS is supposed to do?

I should add, that, with the change of modem, I also upgraded my
Linux to SuSE 10.0 with an updated Mailman (2.1.6). After the
installation of a basic Mailman system, the old lists were simply
copied from the old to the new location.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Charles Stroom

email: charles at stremen dot xs4all dot nl

Search Discussions

  • Patrick Bogen at Feb 13, 2006 at 4:22 pm
    Can you access mailman pages from outside your network via the
    stremen.xs4all.nl address? If so, it might be something weird with the
    way your ADSL router/firewall resolves names inside. Specifically, it
    might not do port forwarding for accesses on its external IP that
    originate from inside the LAN.

    If you don't have any systems that move between networks (e.g., a
    laptop), the easiest thing would be to add an /etc/hosts entry like:
    stremen.xs4all.nu <iP of mailman box>
    Of course, that's assuming the problem is what I describe and not a
    server misconfiguration.
    A similar trick can be performed in Windows, but I'm not sure of the details.

    - Patrick Bogen

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Charles Stroom at Feb 13, 2006 at 4:46 pm
    Can you access mailman pages from outside your network via the
    stremen.xs4all.nl address? If so, it might be something weird with the
    way your ADSL router/firewall resolves names inside. Specifically, it
    might not do port forwarding for accesses on its external IP that
    originate from inside the LAN.

    If you don't have any systems that move between networks (e.g., a
    laptop), the easiest thing would be to add an /etc/hosts entry like:
    stremen.xs4all.nu <iP of mailman box>
    The stremen.xs4all.nl and IP number resides in the modem and external
    users can indeed access my web site without problem, because external
    requests on port 80 are forwarded to my web server.

    But you solved my problem: adding stremen.xs4all.nl as an alias to the
    internal LAN IP solved it.

    Many thanks for such a quick reply.

    Charles Stroom

    email: charles at stremen dot xs4all dot nl

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 13, '06 at 4:12p
activeFeb 13, '06 at 4:46p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Charles Stroom: 2 posts Patrick Bogen: 1 post