I have a bunch of /etc/aliases entries for each of my mail lists on
mine.name.com server.
Is there a way I can use these alaises to re-firect <maillist-bounce>@
name.com to mailman at name.com

Any help / ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 12, 2006 at 6:01 am

    Tom Kavanaugh wrote:
    I setup a few mail lists (including default mailman list) in
    name.comdomain, and worked with my IT folks to redirect <maillist>@
    name.com to my mail server <mailist>@mine.name.com
    I do get a few <maillist-name>-bounce at name.com emails, and I would like to
    re-direct all these emails to mailman at name.com (or mailman at mine.name.com)
    Does someone have ideas how to accomplish this?

    I do not administer the company's mail servers.
    Folks here are not open to the list.name.com domain idea, for legacy
    reasons.

    Depending on the MTA that recieves the incoming mail for the name.com
    domain and whether it has the ability through NTFS or whatever to
    access files or directories on mine.name.com, it may or may not be
    possible to do something to direct all list mail to mine.name.com by
    looking at aliases or whatever on mine.name.com, but that may be even
    less acceptable to the IT folks than just installing the necessary
    aliases.

    See the post at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-January/048725.html>
    and the surrounding posts in that thread for more on this.

    Basically, there are 10 addresses per list - the listname address plus
    the 9 listname-* (where * is admin, bounces, confirm, join, leave,
    owner, request, subscribe or unsubscribe) addresses - which all must
    be able to receive mail and route it to Mailman in a way that Mailman
    can tell which of the 10 addresses it came from. In order for Mailman
    to fully function as documented, 9 of these should work (-admin is
    deprecated). You can get away without some of the others if you don't
    tell people about them, and they don't expect them to work from other
    Mailman experience.

    name.com to mailman at name.com

    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you're thinking that you
    can get around the issue by having all bounces from any list be
    returned to the 'mailman' list posting address, you could do this in
    the source code, but not by using aliases on mine.name.com. But, you
    still have the issue of the other listname-* addresses.

  • Tom Kavanaugh at Feb 13, 2006 at 3:00 am
    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your response and suggestions.
    You can get away without some of the others if you don't tell people about
    them, and they > don't expect them to work from other Mailman experience.

    I can get away with all the other addresses with every list. It is only the
    listname-bounce that worries me.
    If you're thinking that you can get around the issue by having all bounces
    from any list be
    returned to the 'mailman' list posting address, you could do this in the
    source code, but >not by using aliases on mine.name.com.

    Yes, this is precisely what I want to accomplish. Could you point me to some
    place, or the portion of the code that needs to be tinkered with. I am not a
    perl/python person, so this is going to be a huge learning curve for me.

    Regards
    Elvis

    name.com to mailman at name.com

    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you're thinking that you
    can get around the issue by having all bounces from any list be
    returned to the 'mailman' list posting address, you could do this in
    the source code, but not by using aliases on mine.name.com. But, you
    still have the issue of the other listname-* addresses.

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 13, 2006 at 4:03 am

    Tom Kavanaugh wrote:
    If you're thinking that you can get around the issue by having all bounces
    from any list be
    returned to the 'mailman' list posting address, you could do this in the
    source code, but >not by using aliases on mine.name.com.

    Yes, this is precisely what I want to accomplish. Could you point me to some
    place, or the portion of the code that needs to be tinkered with. I am not a
    perl/python person, so this is going to be a huge learning curve for me.

    There are two obvious ways that jump to mind.

    The first, which will address the bounce issue for all mail, is the
    following code at the beginning of the process() function in
    Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py

    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
    envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
    if envsender is None:
    if mlist:
    envsender = mlist.GetBouncesEmail()
    else:
    envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='bounces')

    which could simply be replaced by something like

    # Envelope sender (bounces) is always the site list.
    envsender = 'mailman at name.com'

    Don't worry about VERP because it is calculated from envsender.

    Another way to do it would be to modify the getListAddress() method
    definition in Mailman/MailList.py to just return 'mailman at name.com'
    when extra is not None and similarly modify get_site_email() in
    Mailman/Utils.py to ignore the extra argument.

    Then it might be possible to do it in your outgoing MTA, not with
    aliases, but with some kind of rewrite of the envelope sender on
    outgoing mail if your MTA supports such a thing.

  • Tom Kavanaugh at Feb 24, 2006 at 12:20 am
    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your response and suggestions.

    I modified the Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py per you suggestions.
    The unix_sysadmin-bounce emails now get redirected to mailman at name.com
    That is the good part.

    But what is happening now is that the mailman server keeps spitting out
    these emails to the mailman mail list. Every few minutes I am bomarded with
    these emails from the mailman mail list. The relevant contents are:

    Reporting-MTA: dns; utc80.name.com
    Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost
    Arrival-Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:13:39 -0800 (PST)

    Final-Recipient: RFC822; unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com
    <unix_sysadmin-bounces at am.necel.com>
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: DNS; mailhost.name.com
    Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 <unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com>
    <unix_sysadmin-bounces at am.necel.com>... User
    unknown
    Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:13:39 -0800 (PST)

    Seems that the mailman server (utc80) is re-trying to send to
    unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com, although it knows that this is an unknown
    user.

    Could you tell me how to go about fixing this?

    Thanks
    Tom

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 24, 2006 at 2:14 am

    The unix_sysadmin-bounce emails now get redirected to mailman at name.com
    That is the good part.

    But what is happening now is that the mailman server keeps spitting out
    these emails to the mailman mail list. Every few minutes I am bomarded with
    these emails from the mailman mail list. The relevant contents are:

    You asked how to redirect bounces to the mailman at name.com address (the
    posting address for the site list) and that's what's happening.

    Final-Recipient: RFC822; unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com
    <unix_sysadmin-bounces at am.necel.com>
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: DNS; mailhost.name.com
    Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 <unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com>
    <unix_sysadmin-bounces at am.necel.com>... User
    unknown
    Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:13:39 -0800 (PST)

    Seems that the mailman server (utc80) is re-trying to send to
    unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com, although it knows that this is an unknown
    user.

    Mailman doesn't know anything about what addresses are or are not
    deliverable, and since you have effectively disabled automatic bounce
    processing, it can never find out.

    My best guess here is that unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com is a member
    of the mailman at name.com list. If that's not it, I don't know what is.
    Does that notice contain a copy of the original message? if so, what
    is it? Or does it keep growing as the same bounce keeps rebouncing?

    This is an interesting issue. Every message from the mailman at name.com
    list had better be deliverable or you will get a bounce loop.

  • Tom Kavanaugh at Mar 7, 2006 at 12:57 am
    Hi Mark,
    My best guess here is that unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com is a member
    of the mailman at name.com list.

    Yes, that was correct. And hence the mails were getting into a bounce loop.
    I have removed unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com from mailman at name.com.

    I was soooo stupid to do it in the first place, but this was a great
    learning for me.
    All is good now.

    Thanks
    Tom

    I modified the Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py per you suggestions.

    This is an interesting issue. Every message from the mailman at name.com
    list had better be deliverable or you will get a bounce loop.

  • Tom Kavanaugh at Apr 13, 2006 at 7:47 pm
    Hello,

    I recently migrated mailman to a RH Linux server (previously it was a SPARC
    Solaris box).
    For re-directing having all bounces from any list be to the 'mailman' list
    posting address, I updated the Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py as below. I
    beleive that this was what I did on the Solaris box earlier. But, now on the
    RH Linux box, the -bounce emails are not getting redirected to the mailman
    list.

    Is something changed for RH Linux?
    Or, am I missing somethign else?

    Any help is appreaciated.

    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
    #envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
    #if envsender is None:
    # if mlist:
    # envsender = mlist.GetBouncesEmail()
    # else:
    # envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='bounces')
    ## Envelope sender (bounces) is always the site list.
    envsender = 'mailman at name.com'
    # Time to split up the recipient list. If we're personalizing or
    VERPing
    # then each chunk will have exactly one recipient. We'll then hand
    craft

    Thanks
    Tom
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 14, 2006 at 2:38 am

    Tom Kavanaugh wrote:
    I recently migrated mailman to a RH Linux server (previously it was a SPARC
    Solaris box).
    For re-directing having all bounces from any list be to the 'mailman' list
    posting address, I updated the Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py as below. I
    beleive that this was what I did on the Solaris box earlier. But, now on the
    RH Linux box, the -bounce emails are not getting redirected to the mailman
    list.

    Is something changed for RH Linux?
    The patch seems good.

    Can you post to the mailman list at all? Check your aliases to see how
    mail to mailman at name.com is being handled. Do you have aliases for the
    mailman list at all? Is mail to mailman at name.com being delivered to a
    local mailbox?

    I recent post to this list
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-April/050332.html>
    showed aliases from a cpanel installation where mail to mailman was
    sent to /dev/null. I have no reason to think RedHat would do this, but
    you never know.

  • Tom Kavanaugh at Sep 21, 2006 at 5:09 pm
    Hello folks,

    I am currently re-directing all the lists -admin -bounce -owner -confirm
    -join -leave -owner -request -subscribe -unsubsribe to mailman at name.com

    Currently, I administer all the mail lists and so this works well.

    Going forward, I would like to make the list ownership of each list to the
    relevant project manager. So, the -admin, -bounce, etc of every list will
    have to go to a different email.

    My Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py looks like below. This was done from my
    # Envelope sender (bounces) is always the site list.
    envsender = 'mailman at name.com'

    Is it possible for :
    lista -admin -bounce -owner -confirm etc to go to name1 at name.com
    listb -admin -bounce -owner -confirm etc to go to name2 at name.com
    listc -admin -bounce -owner -confirm etc to go to name3 at name.com

    Thanks
    Tom

[...]

  • Patrick Bogen at Sep 22, 2006 at 1:26 pm

    Yes, but this is a bad idea unless you really do not want bounce
    processing and email command processing and the like.

    Just edit your aliases file, or wherever the redirections are done
    currently, and make the changes you want.

    --
    - Patrick Bogen
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 22, 2006 at 2:48 pm

    lista -admin -bounce -owner -confirm etc to go to name1 at name.com
    listb -admin -bounce -owner -confirm etc to go to name2 at name.com
    listc -admin -bounce -owner -confirm etc to go to name3 at name.com

    I have looked at the post at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-February/049229.html>
    and the surrounding thread. I am still a bit hazy on this as it
    relates to the -admin, -owner, -confirm, etc. addresses since the
    SMTPDirect.py modification only deals with bounces by effectively
    replacing the -bounces address with the address of the site list.

    The prior thread seems to indicate that using aliases was problematic
    because more than one server was involved and you didn't have access
    to the incoming mail server for the domain. If it is the case that all
    the list mail comes to your server somehow and is then delivered to
    Mailman via aliases, then as Patrick suggests, you can use these
    aliases to send the mail anywhere you want.

    If you want to address just bounces in the same manner as your current
    SMTPDirect.py modification that changes

    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
    envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
    if envsender is None:
    if mlist:
    envsender = mlist.GetBouncesEmail()
    else:
    envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='bounces')

    # Envelope sender (bounces) is always the site list.
    envsender = 'mailman at example.com'

    You could instead change it to

    # Envelope sender (bounces) is always the first list owner.
    if mlist:
    envsender = mlist.owner[0]
    else:
    envsender = 'mailman at example.com'

    This would set the envelope sender of any message sent on behalf of a
    list to the first address in the 'owner' attribute, and set it to the
    fixed address if there wasn't a specific list involved.

  • Wayne Ribbens at Mar 3, 2006 at 9:16 pm
    <There are two obvious ways that jump to mind.

    The first, which will address the bounce issue for all mail, is the
    following code at the beginning of the process() function in
    Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py

    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
    envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
    if envsender is None:
    if mlist:
    envsender = mlist.GetBouncesEmail()
    else:
    envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='bounces')

    which could simply be replaced by something like

    # Envelope sender (bounces) is always the site list.
    envsender = 'mailman at name.com'>

    I put in

    envsender = 'catchbounces at domain.com'

    where the address was a valid address and nothing changes.

    Do I have to do anything besides modify SMTPDirect.py to make this work?
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 3, 2006 at 9:53 pm
    Wayne Ribbens quotes me:
    <There are two obvious ways that jump to mind.

    The first, which will address the bounce issue for all mail, is the
    following code at the beginning of the process() function in
    Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py

    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
    envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
    if envsender is None:
    if mlist:
    envsender = mlist.GetBouncesEmail()
    else:
    envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='bounces')

    which could simply be replaced by something like

    # Envelope sender (bounces) is always the site list.
    envsender = 'mailman at name.com'>

    and adds:

    I put in

    envsender = 'catchbounces at domain.com'

    where the address was a valid address and nothing changes.

    What does 'nothing changes' mean in this context? What was happening
    before that you wanted to change, but is still happening?

    Do I have to do anything besides modify SMTPDirect.py to make this work?

    Assuming you haven't changed DELIVERY_MODULE in mm_cfg.py, that should
    cause bounces from all but the most pathological MTAs to be returned
    to the catchbounces at domain.com address.

    Are you sure you patched the correct SMTPDirect.py, i.e. the one in the
    installation hierarchy and not in the unpack/configure hierarchy?

    You do have to do 'bin/mailmanctl restart' following this change.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 9, '06 at 6:39p
activeSep 22, '06 at 2:48p