I am trying to get mailman running with virtual domains on a postfix box.

When I found this error in the log:

relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test". Command output: Group
mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command
line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody'

I did a make clean; ./configure --with-mail-gid=nobody; make install

Now I am find the opposite in the mail logs:

relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request test". Command output: Group
mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
as group "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the mail script
as group "mailman". Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
group "nobody", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
`--with-mail-gid=mailman'

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this one?

Thanks in advance ...

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 7, 2006 at 10:31 pm

    Randolph Langley wrote:
[...]

    The normal cause of this with Postfix is having Mailman's aliases in
    more than one file. When Postfix finds an alias that pipes to a
    command, it runs the command with user/group equal to the ownership of
    the aliases.db (or whatever it's name is) in which it found the alias.

    So I'm guessing you have some Mailman aliases in Mailman's data/aliases
    and data/aliases.db files which belong to group Mailman and other
    Mailman aliases in /etc/postfix/aliases and /etc/postfix/aliases.db
    which belong to group nobody.

    The best fix is to put all Mailman's aliases in Mailman's files and
    reconfigure --with-mail-gid=mailman.

    Running bin/genaliases should fix all Mailman's alias files which may
    actually be OK anyway, but you still will need to remove any Mailman
    aliases from /etc/postfix/aliases and run postalias.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 7, '06 at 9:36p
activeFeb 7, '06 at 10:31p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Randolph Langley: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post