This sort of leads me to my next question.

To have a user unsubscribe without seeing the web interface and just by
email, which would be the right command?

Listname-leave at domain.com

Or are there more?
Also does anything need to be written in the subject line? If not, what if
someone writes something or writes something that is not right, will it
still unsubscribe them?

I would like to state that if they want to be removed, to please "click
here" to send an email to unsubscribe.

Kind regards,

Jp

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 29, 2006 at 8:18 pm

    Jp Possenti wrote:
    Why is it that when I set Mailman to apply a footer with some info, Outlook
    detects it as an attachment?
    Is this yet another problem with just outlook?

    Also does the footer in mailman support HTML?

    Please read the FAQ. A search of the FAQ for footer should turn up the
    answers to both these questions.

    I want to make it so at the bottom of every email I can include a reply to
    address for them to unsubscribe.

    Listname-leave at domain.com

    Either one, they're synonymous (assuming List and Listname are
    synonymous).

    Or are there more?

    Send an unsubscribe command to list-request at ...

    Also does anything need to be written in the subject line? If not, what if
    someone writes something or writes something that is not right, will it
    still unsubscribe them?

    For the first two, the subject is ignored so the answer to your second
    question is yes.

    I would like to state that if they want to be removed, to please "click
    here" to send an email to unsubscribe.

    but whether or not this will be 'clickable' depends entirely on the
    recipient's MUA. Even if you make the footer look like HTML, it will
    be in a text/plain part of the message so it won't be rendered as HTML.

  • Jp Possenti at Jan 29, 2006 at 8:31 pm
    Mark,

    If I decide to do the one that is like this:

    List-request at domain.com

    The "command" goes in the subject or body?

    In this case unsubscribe would be in which? Or does it not matter?

    Kind regards,

    Jp Possenti

    Listname-leave at domain.com

    Either one, they're synonymous (assuming List and Listname are
    synonymous).

    Or are there more?

    Send an unsubscribe command to list-request at ...

    Also does anything need to be written in the subject line? If not, what if
    someone writes something or writes something that is not right, will it
    still unsubscribe them?

    For the first two, the subject is ignored so the answer to your second
    question is yes.

    I would like to state that if they want to be removed, to please "click
    here" to send an email to unsubscribe.

    but whether or not this will be 'clickable' depends entirely on the
    recipient's MUA. Even if you make the footer look like HTML, it will
    be in a text/plain part of the message so it won't be rendered as HTML.

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 29, 2006 at 9:02 pm

    List-request at domain.com

    The "command" goes in the subject or body?

    In this case unsubscribe would be in which? Or does it not matter?

    The '-request' processing processes the Subject: and the first
    mm_cfg.DEFAULT_MAIL_COMMANDS_MAX_LINES (default value = 25) lines of
    the body. If the subject is not a valid command, it is ignored. After
    that, the first line which is not a vaild command stops the process.

    So the short answer is it doesn't matter.

    send the command

    help

    to the -request address for documentation of the available commands.

  • Brad Knowles at Jan 30, 2006 at 12:43 am

    Why is it that when I set Mailman to apply a footer with some info, Outlook
    detects it as an attachment?
    Is this yet another problem with just outlook?
    Outlook and certain other MUAs, yes.
    Also does the footer in mailman support HTML? Nope.
    I want to make it so at the bottom of every email I can include a reply to
    address for them to unsubscribe.
    Like we do for this mailing list?

    Listname-leave at domain.com
    More like the header we put on every message that passes through this list:

    Or are there more?
    Also does anything need to be written in the subject line? If not, what if
    someone writes something or writes something that is not right, will it
    still unsubscribe them?

    I would like to state that if they want to be removed, to please "click
    here" to send an email to unsubscribe.
    You can't write your own HTML there, so no "click here" type
    language is going to work. You can do the same sorts of things that
    you see in the messages which pass through this list, however -- try
    taking a closer look at the copies you receive.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Stephen J. Turnbull at Jan 30, 2006 at 8:41 am
    "Brad" == Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
    Brad> You can't write your own HTML there, so no "click
    Brad> here" type language is going to work.

    Strictly speaking, this depends on the MUA, too. In the message I'm
    replying to Gnus added no less than 16 clickable items, including
    everything in the footer (every line except the title "Mailman-Users
    mailing list"). It's a shame that major vendors concentrated on a
    misfeature that allows you to write

    www.tulips.org</a> has the best selection of garden photos!

    in email, instead of teaching their products to snarf URLs out of
    text/plain.

    University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
  • Brad Knowles at Jan 30, 2006 at 10:46 am

    At 5:41 PM +0900 2006-01-30, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    "Brad" == Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
    Brad> You can't write your own HTML there, so no "click
    Brad> here" type language is going to work.

    Strictly speaking, this depends on the MUA, too. True.
    In the message I'm
    replying to Gnus added no less than 16 clickable items, including
    everything in the footer (every line except the title "Mailman-Users
    mailing list").
    It is not unusual for MUAs to convert many of the List-* headers
    into clickable links. IMO, that's pretty cool.
    It's a shame that major vendors concentrated on a
    misfeature that allows you to write

    www.tulips.org</a> has the best selection of garden photos!

    in email, instead of teaching their products to snarf URLs out of
    text/plain.
    The ironic thing is that you're saying this to me, and that
    Eudora (my MUA) only made the URL clickable -- i.e., it did exactly
    what you are saying that vendors don't do with their MUAs. ;)

    Of course, I have all the HTML features of Eudora turned off, and
    I neither send nor receive messages that are HTML formatted. I still
    can't figure out a way to get it to stop converting HTML formatting
    into a rich text format which is more difficult to quote and edit,
    but at least it does give me methods of flattening rich text into
    ASCII, which can then be cut and re-pasted in a quotation format.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Carl Zwanzig at Jan 30, 2006 at 4:55 pm

    In a flurry of recycled electrons, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    Strictly speaking, this depends on the MUA, too. In the message I'm
    replying to Gnus added no less than 16 clickable items, including
    everything in the footer (every line except the title "Mailman-Users
    mailing list"). It's a shame that major vendors concentrated on a
    misfeature that allows you to write

    www.tulips.org</a> has the best selection of garden photos!

    in email, instead of teaching their products to snarf URLs out of
    text/plain.
    Strange enough, some versions of lookOut will make things that look
    like URLs (and UNCs) clickable even in plain-text messages. At my
    office, only about a third of the users send HTML-format email, but
    for the most part lookOut does the right thing. (Now if I could get
    them to stop sending multihundred K attachments to entire exchange
    server lists... not my job, though)

    z!

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython