Thomas Waters
Director of Information and Communication Services
412-383-7471
waterstc at pitt.edu
http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu

Search Discussions

  • Carl Zwanzig at Jan 4, 2006 at 5:39 pm

    In a flurry of recycled electrons, Thomas Waters wrote:
    <rxtesttuesday at pharmacy.pitt.edu>: Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post rxtesttuesday". Command
    output: Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as
    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
    script as
    group "tcwaters". Try tweaking the mail server to run the
    script as group
    "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
    `--with-mail-gid=tcwaters'.

    I ask if this is mailman or postfix because I was trying to move the
    mail lists to a new server, so I have "handled" the mailman files,
    but never touched the Postfix files. Is this a file permissions issue?
    Yes :-). Since groups are specified with a name which is them mapped to
    a number, is that number the same? I've seen new versions of an OS come
    with different /etc/group files. I assume that tcwaters is not the group
    that you expected to be there. (See the FAQ also, you'll probably need to
    either change the group tcwaters to be called mailman and reset all the
    file groups or rebuild mailman on that new system.)

    z!
  • John Dennis at Jan 4, 2006 at 5:40 pm

    Thomas Waters wrote:
    <rxtesttuesday at pharmacy.pitt.edu>: Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post rxtesttuesday". Command
    output: Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as
    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
    script as
    group "tcwaters". Try tweaking the mail server to run the
    script as group
    "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
    `--with-mail-gid=tcwaters'.

    I ask if this is mailman or postfix because I was trying to move the
    mail lists to a new server, so I have "handled" the mailman files,
    but never touched the Postfix files. Is this a file permissions issue?

    You probably touched the mailman aliases file leaving it with your
    username as the owner. Postfix will execute commands found in an alias
    file with the userid of the user who owns the alias file. This is a
    configurable option in postfix, its usually on by default because in
    most circumstances it is what you want. When you add a new list and
    mailman updates the alias file it will write the file with the owner as
    mailman.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 4, '06 at 5:33p