I am running mailman-2.1.5 on a redhat linux AS 4 system with
all the latest redhat fixes.

I just ran the mailman-2.1.6 upgrade and encountered the following messages
for each (but not all my lists)

Updating mailing list: 4h-northern^M
Updating the held requests database.^M
- updating old private mbox file^M
looks like you have a really recent CVS installation...^M
you're either one brave soul, or you already ran me^M
- updating old public mbox file^M
Fixing language templates: 4h-northern^M

followed by

Updating Usenet watermarks^M
- nothing to update here^M
Updating Mailman 2.1.4 pending.pck database^M
WARNING: Ignoring duplicate pending ID: 7.^M
WARNING: Ignoring duplicate pending ID: 5.^M
WARNING: Ignoring duplicate pending ID: 10.^M
updating old qfiles^M
Traceback (most recent call last):^M
File "bin/update", line 780, in ?^M
errors = main()^M
File "bin/update", line 709, in main^M
update_qfiles()^M
File "bin/update", line 414, in update_qfiles^M
for filename in os.listdir(mm_cfg.QUEUE_DIR):^M
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/spool/mailman/qfiles'^M
make: *** [update] Error 1^M
[root at shad mailman-2.1.6]# exit^M
exit^M

I have not started the upgraded mailman yet.

I don't know where it picked up /var/spool/mailman/qfiles
as the qfiles directory is /opt/mailman/qfiles.

Is the above actually a serious problem?
Is there additional steps the system must run?

If so what do I need to do to fix things?

I was not able to make a "local" backup of the archive list
as it is about 12G in size, although I do have a backup on
our main central backup system---I would prefer not to
need to recover from there as it would take a fair
amount of time to download.

Any help/clarification as to what happened is appreciated.

paulw

Search Discussions

  • Paul Williams at Dec 30, 2005 at 9:05 pm
    I had 2 problems which I finally discoved by following
    through on the error messages:

    1) I had stopped the web server and sendmail, but forgot
    to stop mailman. Duhhhh.

    2) I discovered a problem with ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
    It had a line in it

    QUEUE_DIR = '/var/spool/mailman/qfiles'

    but the actual qfiles were in a different location
    so I made the following substitution.

    QUEUE_DIR = '/opt/mailman/qfiles'

    The update program was using this file name which
    was causing a problem.

    That seemed to make things happy.

    paulw

    Paul Williams wrote:
[...]

    Paul F. Williams, Network Administrator, Information Systems
    UW-Extension, 432 N. Lake St., Madison, WI 53706
    paul.williams at uwex.edu, 608-262-6011, FAX 608-262-2343

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 30, '05 at 7:55p