is created from the web...

Gary R. Webster

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>
12/21/05 06:19 PM

To: webster at lexmark.com, mailman-users at python.org
cc:
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] [mailman-users] receiving list mail from account
towhich mail cannot be delivered

webster at lexmark.com wrote:
I see two ways to do this:
1) Make it a list member with 'nomail' checked.
2) When this account first tried to send e-mail to a list, it was not a
member, the note was held, & the moderator was notified. On the
moderators html page (/admindb/), I can check the box 'Add ... sender' &
select the radio button 'Accepts' .

So, now a few questions:
1) Can/How #2 be done before-hand (before the e-mail is held because the
sender is not a member of the list), on the website ?
2) related to #1: How can this 'accept this address as sender' be undone
?

For both 1 and 2 go to the admin Privacy options...->Sender filters
page and look at the Non-member filters.

3) & most importantly: Is there a way to make this default for all new
[created] lists ? Can I set some 'default' so that a specified e-mail
address is either accepted as a sender without being a member, or make it
a member which doesn't receive mail ('nomail'), for all new lists at their
creation ?

No. You can set

DEFAULT_GENERIC_NONMEMBER_ACTION = 0

in mm_cfg.py, to accept posts from all non-members by default until you
change it, but this isn't what you want.

You could do something like the following:

Create a file containing the one line

accept_these_nonmembers = ['the_bot at example.com']

Then you could create a shell script similar to

#!/bin/sh
bin/newlist $1
bin/config_list -i path/to/file/above $1

and use that to create lists. I can't think of a similar way to do this
if you want to create lists from the web.

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 22, 2005 at 9:33 pm

    Gary R. Webster wrote:
    Anywho, your comments on my #3 question, below, gets me to thinking.
    I could have the 'config_list -i path/to/file/above' just run whenever, like from cron, no ?
    Even better, if there were some kind of 'trigger' to hook when a new list
    is created from the web...
    You could make a shell script or other process that would run via cron
    as often as you think is necessary.

    it could do something like

    #!bin/sh
    bin/list_lists --bare > path/to/lists.curr
    diff path/to/lists.prev path/to/lists.curr | grep '^>' |\
    awk '{print $2}' > path/to/lists.new
    cp path/to/lists.curr path/to/lists.prev
    for list in `cat path/to/lists.new`
    do bin/config_list -i path/to/file/above $list
    done

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 22, '05 at 8:28p