Okay, I've fixed the SMTP problems, and my lists are working, yay!
But now my boss wants to make two announce-only lists, and we're
trying to follow the directions in the FAQ:
In Mailman 2.1.x you can customize the welcome message. Create
a directory lists/<yourlist>/en (assuming English :) and copy
templates/subscribeack.txt to this directory. Then edit this file
for your specific wording. Mailman will use this specialized
template for the English welcome messages.
We've found where Mac OS X Server keeps these files ...
/private/var/mailman/ ... and we see that there is already a lists
directory there.

So we went into the specific list and created the /en directory, and
then /templates in there, and put the subscribeack.txt file into it,
all edited as he wants it.

But it's still not working. I'm afraid that I'm getting confused with
the wording in the FAQ above. The new file is located in
/private/var/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/templates/subscribeack.txt.
Is this the proper location?

And if so, then is there another step I'm missing to make this work right?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated by me and my boss!
--
Julia Frizzell
Systems Administrator/Help Desk Manager
julia_frizzell at brown.edu
401.274.9548 x311 or 800.521.9550 x311
401.421.7650 (fax)
http://www.alliance.brown.edu

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 19, 2005 at 7:43 pm

    Julia Frizzell wrote:
    But it's still not working. I'm afraid that I'm getting confused with
    the wording in the FAQ above. The new file is located in
    /private/var/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/templates/subscribeack.txt.
    Is this the proper location?

    No. The proper location in your case is
    /private/var/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/subscribeack.txt

    Note that in Mailman 2.1.6 and later, you can edit this template via
    the web admin interface via the 'Edit the public HTML pages and text
    files' link.

    Also see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>
    for more detailed info about where edited templates go.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 19, '05 at 7:05p
activeDec 19, '05 at 7:43p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Julia Frizzell: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post