We get a large amount of spam to our unmoderated lists and as moderator
I am getting tired of rejecting "implicit destination" messages. They
are always spam - no sensible poster BCC's and all list aliases are covered.

Looking through the list archives there was talk about this feature
being added into 2.1 and then possibly not making it :-(

Are there any hidden config settings that will allow me to do this in
2.1.5 or has anyone made such mods and is willing to share the patch
with me?

Thanks
-- Alex

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 12, 2005 at 6:39 pm

    Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
    We get a large amount of spam to our unmoderated lists and as moderator
    I am getting tired of rejecting "implicit destination" messages. They
    are always spam - no sensible poster BCC's and all list aliases are covered.

    Looking through the list archives there was talk about this feature
    being added into 2.1 and then possibly not making it :-(

    Are there any hidden config settings that will allow me to do this in
    2.1.5 or has anyone made such mods and is willing to share the patch
    with me?

    If you want to unconditionally do what the subject of this message
    says, I think the patch is pretty simple, but I haven't tested it at
    all so beware.

    In the module Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py you will see

    #
    # Implicit destination? Note that message originating from the
    Usenet
    # side of the world should never be checked for implicit
    destination.
    if mlist.require_explicit_destination and \
    not mlist.HasExplicitDest(msg) and \
    not msgdata.get('fromusenet'):
    # then
    hold_for_approval(mlist, msg, msgdata, ImplicitDestination)
    # no return

    I think all you need to do is replace

    hold_for_approval(mlist, msg, msgdata, ImplicitDestination)

    with

    raise Errors.DiscardMessage

    The discard will still be logged in 'vette', but otherwise, the message
    will just disappear.

  • Alex Schuilenburg at Dec 13, 2005 at 11:44 am