Hi

is there a way to block a list on the server being Server
Administrator, not list owner? Maybe there is a switch to
block/unblock list from functioning, which overrides list owners
rights?

Ivan

Search Discussions

  • Young, Darren at Dec 2, 2005 at 6:35 pm

    is there a way to block a list on the server being Server
    Administrator, not list owner? Maybe there is a switch to
    block/unblock list from functioning, which overrides list owners
    rights?
    Some options could be:

    1) remove the list.

    2) set the list to emergency moderate (and optionally discard/hold the
    postings).

    3) If you want it to work but the owner to not have access, change the
    passwords. If you use #2, you'll probably want to do this as well since
    the owner can just turn traffic back on.

    Do you want the list to actually accept incoming messages (and hold
    them) or have the system bounce them back? Could set all non-member
    postings to be rejected along with a rejection message.

    Remove the list aliases (/etc/aliases I'm assuming) which would cause
    the inbound messages to hard bounce back to the sender.
  • Коваленко Иван at Dec 2, 2005 at 9:44 pm
    YD> Some options could be:

    YD> 1) remove the list.
    Alas - it can be done. I have to maintain these damned spammers as i
    cant move them along.
    YD> 2) set the list to emergency moderate (and optionally discard/hold the
    YD> postings).

    YD> 3) If you want it to work but the owner to not have access, change the
    YD> passwords. If you use #2, you'll probably want to do this as well since
    YD> the owner can just turn traffic back on.

    I mean to temporarly block, i.e. make list unavailable to list owner
    for a period of time, making no changes in it. More precise - freeze
    it. Can i move its directory out of lists/?
    Frankly, i'm responsible for cpanel installation and some spam users
    annoying me (and company as well).

    --
    ? ?????????,
    ????????? ????, ?????-??????? mailto:kig at telekom.ru
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 3, 2005 at 2:37 am

    ????????? ???? wrote:
    I mean to temporarly block, i.e. make list unavailable to list owner
    for a period of time, making no changes in it. More precise - freeze
    it. Can i move its directory out of lists/?

    Yes, you can move it's directory out of lists/ if that is what you want.
    Doing that will prevent all access to the list except for public
    archives. Attempts to post, administer the list, validate for private
    archive access, etc. will all fail. If you use Exim integrated with
    Mailman as your MTA, post attempts will bounce because Exim will not see
    the list. If you use an MTA with aliases, the post script will exit with
    an error which the MTA may see and bounce the message or not. It may
    depend on the MTA, and I'm not sure.

    Nothing will actually break. bin/rmlist essentially does the same thing
    except it will also remove aliases if MTA = 'Postfix'.

    At some point in the future, you can move the directory back and
    continue from where you left off.

    Frankly, i'm responsible for cpanel installation and some spam users
    annoying me (and company as well).

    I'm still having trouble understanding the whole picture of what your
    problem is and why you want to do this, but I hope I've answered your
    question.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 2, '05 at 6:22p