Context: I'm BRAND new to configuring mail servers, so go easy! ;^) I'm
running Mailman 2.1.6 on a Mac G4 running OS X 10.4.2 using the default
Postfix and Python installations (versions 2.1.5 and 2.3.5, respectively).

I've read the FAQ and everything else Google could find on the topic, but am
still having the problem characterized by the error messages below:
From $prefix/logs/post:
Oct 18 11:41:08 2005 (92) post to fv-test from ahedges at familyvoices.org,
size56, message-id=<20051018140854.C83774AB4 at relay3.mail.twtelecom.net>,
1 failures
From $prefix/logs/smtp:
Oct 18 11:41:08 2005 (92)
<20051018140854.C83774AB4 at relay3.mail.twtelecom.net> smtp to fv-test for 1
recips, completed in 2.918 seconds
From $prefix/logs/smtp-failure:
Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) Low level smtp error: (7, 'No address associated
with nodename'), msgid:
<mailman.0.1129644537.90.fv-test at lists.familyvoices.org>
Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) delivery to ahedges at familyvoices.org failed with
code -1: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')

I don't see any errors in /var/logs/mail.log around that time. Here are
some of my configs (note: I have experimented with lots of settings, but
these are the ones that were in effect when the above errors occurred):
From /etc/postifx/main.cf
owner_request_special = no
recipient_delimiter = +
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
alias_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,hash:/Users/macadmin/Mailman/data/alias
es
default_process_limit = 150
qmqr_message_active_limit = 40000
qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 40000
disable_dns_lookups = yes
mydomain = familyvoices.org
myhostname = lists.familyvoices.org
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname
relayhost =[relay2.mail.twtelecom.net]
mydomain_fallback = lists.familyvoices.org
mynetworks_style = host
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks reject_unauth_destination
From $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py:
MTA = "Postfix"
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.familyvoices.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.familyvoices.org'
add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE = 64 # KB
SMTPHOST = 'lists'

Any help is appreciated!
-Andrew

PS: As an aside, is it typical for it to take nearly 3 seconds for Mailman
to process one, puny message to a list with one, puny recipient? What's the
gate on performance? Disk speed? CPU? Network connection? Our lists
won't be large (the largest is around 200 members), but we will have about
40 of them. Will this overload my little Mac?

-----
Andrew Hedges
Technology Coordinator
Family Voices, Inc.
2340 Alamo Ave SE, Suite 102
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-872-4774 phone
505-872-4780 fax
ahedges at familyvoices.org
http://www.familyvoices.org/

Search Discussions

  • Larry Stone at Oct 18, 2005 at 6:57 pm

    Context: I'm BRAND new to configuring mail servers, so go easy! ;^) I'm
    running Mailman 2.1.6 on a Mac G4 running OS X 10.4.2 using the default
    Postfix and Python installations (versions 2.1.5 and 2.3.5, respectively).
    I'm one of the resident MacOS X experts here although this appears to be a
    DNS problem and nothing MacOS X or mailman specific.
    From $prefix/logs/smtp-failure:
    Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) Low level smtp error: (7, 'No address associated
    with nodename'), msgid:
    <mailman.0.1129644537.90.fv-test at lists.familyvoices.org>
    Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) delivery to ahedges at familyvoices.org failed with
    code -1: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')
    A cryptic message to be sure but I think it's trying to tell you it can't
    resolve lists.familyvoices.org. When I try to lookup that name, I get a
    SERVFAIL error which means your DNS is not set up correctly and the server
    is encountering an error when trying to resolve lists.familyvoices.org.

    Fix that, then see what happens.

    -- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
  • Larry Stone at Oct 18, 2005 at 7:58 pm

    A cryptic message to be sure but I think it's trying to tell you it can't
    resolve lists.familyvoices.org. When I try to lookup that name, I get a
    SERVFAIL error which means your DNS is not set up correctly and the server
    is encountering an error when trying to resolve lists.familyvoices.org.
    Disregard this. DNS appears fine now. Perhaps a transient problem at your
    ISP or perhaps I mistyped the name when checking.

    -- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
  • Larry Stone at Oct 18, 2005 at 7:13 pm
    Oops, forgot to anwer the second part.