Hello,

Today, one of our security administrators tried to send a
message to one of his lists and it got held. The message the user got
was:

sans_gcia-bounces at list.odu.edu wrote on 08/22/2005 09:55:46 AM:
Your mail to 'SANS_GCIA' with the subject

Unix Security Course

The reason it is being held:

Message has implicit destination

notification of the moderator's decision. If you would like to cancel
http://list.odu.edu/confirm/sans_gcia/0fabbd87d74f641d0a035f000d7075a1ef2233

According to the docs, the message was held because the user Bcc:ed the
sans_gcia address but am waiting to confirmation on the user if he did
this.

The thing that bothers me most is: when the user clicked on the
http://list.odu.edu/... link, the page was "not found". What can I look
for in the logs or elsewhere to see why the page could not be found?

If it helps, we are running MM 2.1.6b4 on Linux RHEL 3.0.

Darren
Old Dominion University

Search Discussions

  • Darren G Pifer at Aug 22, 2005 at 6:37 pm
    My bad...the confirm script in the wwwroot directory was missing which
    caused the problem. I symlinked it like we have done with our
    other scripts.

    Darren
    ODU
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 22, 2005 at 11:17 pm

    Darren G Pifer wrote:

    The reason it is being held:

    Message has implicit destination

    notification of the moderator's decision. If you would like to cancel
    http://list.odu.edu/confirm/sans_gcia/0fabbd87d74f641d0a035f000d7075a1ef2233

    According to the docs, the message was held because the user Bcc:ed the
    sans_gcia address but am waiting to confirmation on the user if he did
    this.
    Or the user 'redirected' or 'bounced' a message to the list or in some
    other way caused the message to be delivered to sans_gcia at list.odu.edu
    without that address being present in a To: or Cc: header.

    In other words, although Bcc: to the list is the most common cause of
    'implicit destination', it isn't the only possibility.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 22, '05 at 3:37p
activeAug 22, '05 at 11:17p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Darren G Pifer: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post