As site admin, you should have command-line access to the server,
or at least be able to remember what private lists you've created.
Remember, it's not me being a list admin, but rather a site admin that's the
issue. As a site admin, I wouldn't necessarily know all the many lists that our
list admins would decide to make private. Actually, as a site-admin, I wouldn't
necessarily know all the public lists too. I'd have to have a list available to
me (we could potentially have dozens of lists made where the list admins would
choose whether to advertise the list or not), and I was hoping I'd have that
list available through a password-protected webpage, especially since there are
other pages that require the site admin to log in within Mailman (specific list
maintenance, etc.)

But, yes, having a command-line-access to the server would be the only way for
the site admin to have a complete set of lists (advertised and non-advertised.)
But you are right that this would be a nice feature. Please feel
free to go to the SourceForge Mailman Request for Enhancement page at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id3&atid50103> and file
an RFE.
Brad, thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

Steve

Search Discussions

  • Matt Emerson at Aug 10, 2005 at 2:46 pm

    Steve Rifkin <steve410 at cs.jhu.edu> writes:

    I'd have to have a list available to me (we could
    potentially have dozens of lists made where the list admins would
    choose whether to advertise the list or not), and I was hoping I'd
    have that list available through a password-protected webpage,
    especially since there are other pages that require the site admin
    to log in within Mailman (specific list maintenance, etc.)
    I wrote a nasty script to generate an HTML file that lists all the
    lists.

    I run it daily from cron because I didn't want to monkey around with a
    setuid mailman CGI program.

    Use your web server to restrict access to the generated HTML file as
    appropriate.

    Here's an example. Customize as required. Works for me; it might
    work for you.

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    # Create a web page from the output of the Mailman list_lists command.

    $cmd="/usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists";

    open LISTINFO, "$cmd |" or die "cannot run $cmd: $!\n";

    print '
    <head>
    <title>Mailing lists</title>
    .shaded {background: #EEEEEE;}
    </head>
    <h1>Mailing lists</h1>
    ';

    $rownumber = 0;
    $headerline = <LISTINFO>;
    while (<LISTINFO>) {
    chop;
    ($listname, $description) = split / - /;
    $listname =~ s/^\s+//;
    if ($rownumber % 2) {
    $class = "";
    } else {
    $class = 'class="shaded"';
    }
    $rownumber++;
    $lc_listname = lc $listname;
    print "<tr $class>\n";
    print "<td>$description\n";
    print "<td><a href=\"mailto:${lc_listname}-owner\@your.list.server\">
    mail list owner</a>\n";
    print "</tr>\n";
    }

    print "</table>";

    # page footer
    print '
    ';

    --
    Matt Emerson
    rme at grc.nasa.gov
  • Michael Regoli at Aug 11, 2005 at 6:08 pm
    Speaking of command-line utilities for mailman, this has me thinking
    of a feature that I may be missing. We have Mailman listserves with
    dozens of subscribers, and while my admins use the web interface to
    work with the lists, there doesn't seem to be a way (other than by
    command line) to produce a list of ALL subscribers to a list.

    As you know, when your list reaches a certain threshold, it begins
    grouping the subscribers by letter of the alphabet. Is there a way to
    see ALL subscribers via the web admin interface?

    Thanks for any help. --michael