Hello,

We have routers setup in exim, in the following order:

- mailman_router:
- dnslookup:
- system_aliases:
- userforward:
- spam_router:
- localuser:

Lets say our domain is "domain.com" and we have one mailing list named
"fred".

When emails are sent through exim to the address "fred at somewhere.else.com",
they are actually accepted by mailman and delivered to "fred at domain.com".
This is obviously incorrect.

Should mailman be reconfigured to only accept mail for particular domains,
or do I have the routers in a non-perfect order?

Any advice is very much appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964 Mobile: +44 7811 803377

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com

Search Discussions

  • John W. Baxter at Aug 9, 2005 at 4:09 pm

    We have routers setup in exim, in the following order:

    - mailman_router:
    - dnslookup:
    - system_aliases:
    - userforward:
    - spam_router:
    - localuser:

    Lets say our domain is "domain.com" and we have one mailing list named
    "fred".

    When emails are sent through exim to the address "fred at somewhere.else.com",
    they are actually accepted by mailman and delivered to "fred at domain.com".
    This is obviously incorrect.

    Should mailman be reconfigured to only accept mail for particular domains,
    or do I have the routers in a non-perfect order?

    Any advice is very much appreciated :-)
    You have the routers out of order.

    You don't want to be doing "local" aliasing while messages for the world are
    still being considered by the routers. mailman_router after dnslookup
    should do the trick, given your router list above.

    --John (just bitten by a much more obscure version of the problem on one
    of our non-public machines)
  • John W. Baxter at Aug 9, 2005 at 4:15 pm

    We have routers setup in exim, in the following order:

    - mailman_router:
    - dnslookup:
    - system_aliases:
    - userforward:
    - spam_router:
    - localuser:

    Lets say our domain is "domain.com" and we have one mailing list named
    "fred".

    When emails are sent through exim to the address "fred at somewhere.else.com",
    they are actually accepted by mailman and delivered to "fred at domain.com".
    This is obviously incorrect.

    Should mailman be reconfigured to only accept mail for particular domains,
    or do I have the routers in a non-perfect order?

    Any advice is very much appreciated :-)
    There are more complete answers on the Exim-users list, which I happened to
    read after Mailman-users this morning. I would still reorder the routers as
    below, but the mailman_router should also select for only the domains which
    contain lists. See exim-users.

    You have the routers out of order.

    You don't want to be doing "local" aliasing while messages for the world are
    still being considered by the routers. mailman_router after dnslookup
    should do the trick, given your router list above.

    --John (just bitten by a much more obscure version of the problem on one
    of our non-public machines)

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 9, '05 at 2:37p
activeAug 9, '05 at 4:15p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John W. Baxter: 2 posts Richard Hobbs: 1 post