Hello...

I'm new to the mailman users list. I was a remote admin for a
listproc-based mailing list for many years and upgrading to mailman a
couple of years ago. A recent upgrade by our ISP pushed me to mailman
v2.0.13, and certain features appear to have been lost/hidden in this
migration. I was hoping this group could provide some insight.

The biggest issue is that subscription confirmation via email doesn't
appear to work at all. I'm not sure if mailman is having trouble with
HTML or MIME in the replies, or the appended >'s in the reply cause
problems... but it isn't working for the majority of my users. In the
past there was a very reliable web-based confirmation. I know this
still exists because I used it to confirm my subscription to THIS list,
but on my confirmation emails it is missing, and I can't find an option
to turn it on via the admin interface.

I am a remote admin, and the mailman installation is outside of my
control. I can work with my ISP to make changes... but they are not
mailman savvy so it is a painful process. I'm hoping I'm just missing
an easy fix via the admin web interface.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Russ

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 28, 2005 at 11:36 pm

    Russ Romano wrote:
    I'm new to the mailman users list. I was a remote admin for a
    listproc-based mailing list for many years and upgrading to mailman a
    couple of years ago. A recent upgrade by our ISP pushed me to mailman
    v2.0.13, and certain features appear to have been lost/hidden in this
    migration. I was hoping this group could provide some insight.

    2.0.13 is very old. 2.1 inal was released in Dec, 2002. Current is
    2.1.6. Urge your ISP to upgrade.

    The biggest issue is that subscription confirmation via email doesn't
    appear to work at all. I'm not sure if mailman is having trouble with
    HTML or MIME in the replies, or the appended >'s in the reply cause
    problems... but it isn't working for the majority of my users. In the
    past there was a very reliable web-based confirmation. I know this
    still exists because I used it to confirm my subscription to THIS list,
    but on my confirmation emails it is missing, and I can't find an option
    to turn it on via the admin interface.

    I don't know about 2.0.13 at all. I don't know if it supports web
    confirmation. What I do know is that in 2.1 problems arise in e-mail
    confirmations if the users MUA does funny stuff with the subject. A
    confirmation message to the user has Subject: confirm <token>. A
    confirming reply needs to go to the listname-request address with the
    same subject. There is a kludge so that a reply with a subject such as

    Subject: Re: confirm <token>

    will work, but the kludge only ignores at most one 'token' preceding
    'confirm' so that for example

    will not work (note the space between Re and :).

    I don't know if any of this is relevant to your situation. Again, your
    best solution is to convince your provider to upgrade if you can.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 28, '05 at 4:22p
activeJul 28, '05 at 11:36p