I'm having a problem like Liviu reported a couple of weeks ago. I'm on Mac OS X
Tiger. I created an HTML mail message as follows:

Message, including graphic, is posted as a web page by our designer. I
open this in a browser, and use Safari's "Mail contents of this Page"
command, which creates a message in Mail.app. The message looks
perfect. I address it to our list, and CC it to myself.

Second method: Using Microsoft Word's "Open Web Page" command, I
access the web page. It opens and displays in Word, graphic and
formatting as desired. I use Word's command, "Send to Mail Recipient
as HTML", which creates a message in Entourage. Message looks fine.
Address it as above.

With both methods, the copy I CC to myself, which does not pass
through the mailing list, arrives in my Entourage In Box looking just
as it should. The copies that pass through the list (I am subscribed
under 3 different addresses on mac.com, Earthlink.net, and a pair.com
mail account) all arrive in Entourage with the logo missing, and the two-column
format is lost; the left column appears at the top above the right
column material. Bold and italic are preserved; the messages are HTML,
but imperfect.

At least one other person, who uses a Windows machine, reports that
one of the messages arrived for him with the logo intact, but the
other lacked the logo.

In pair.com's SquirrelMail web interface, it comes through as plain text.

Earthlink's standard web interface displays the message perfectly;
their beta interface keeps the graphic, but distorts it, and displaces
some of the text from a left column to the top of the page.

Does anyone have an explanation for this strangeness, or have any
suggestions on what we can do about it?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 28, 2005 at 12:29 am

    Allen Watson wrote:
[...]

    Assuming Content Filtering is Off, the only thing Mailman might be
    doing to the content is wrapping it in another MIME level to add list
    header and or footer. You could try removing any msg_header and/or
    msg_footer if you have any.

    If this doesn't fix it, you need to diff the raw messages from direct
    Cc: and from the list and see what, other than the obvious top level
    headers, is different.

    One possibility is if the original message HTML contains very long
    lines, one of the MTAs on the path to/from Mailman might be dropping
    something.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 27, '05 at 10:09p
activeJul 28, '05 at 12:29a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Allen Watson: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post