Hello,

I have a little issue with all my mailing lists. For every mailinglist
there is always one fixed user (in the sample below
some.user at somewhere.com) appearing in all outgoing messages.

We are using Mailman 2.1.2 with Postfix 2.0.14. Here a sample from a
mail sent to a different user than in this header:

[...]
by mailmanserver.somewhere.com (Postfix) with ESMTP
id 0C14870BF; Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:45:29 +0200 (CEST)
[...]

Does this look like a mailman, postfix or provider problem?

Thanks,

Christian

Search Discussions

  • JC Dill at Jul 17, 2005 at 2:38 pm

    Christian Vierkant wrote:
    Hello,

    I have a little issue with all my mailing lists. For every mailinglist
    there is always one fixed user (in the sample below
    some.user at somewhere.com) appearing in all outgoing messages.

    We are using Mailman 2.1.2 with Postfix 2.0.14. Here a sample from a
    mail sent to a different user than in this header:

    [...]
    by mailmanserver.somewhere.com (Postfix) with ESMTP
    id 0C14870BF; Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:45:29 +0200 (CEST)
    [...]

    Does this look like a mailman, postfix or provider problem?
    A month ago I asked privately about this (on behalf of a friend's list
    which arrives in my inbox in this fashion) and was told:
    It's definitely being added by some MTA in the chain. Mailman never
    touches the Received headers.
    On my friend's list, the "one user" differs somewhat from mailing to
    mailing (the list sends out small clusters of newsletter posts every few
    weeks), so I have a handful of email addresses I've received in the
    headers of posts from that list.

    jc
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 17, 2005 at 3:38 pm

    Christian Vierkant wrote:
    I have a little issue with all my mailing lists. For every mailinglist
    there is always one fixed user (in the sample below
    some.user at somewhere.com) appearing in all outgoing messages.

    We are using Mailman 2.1.2 with Postfix 2.0.14. Here a sample from a
    mail sent to a different user than in this header:

    [...]
    by mailmanserver.somewhere.com (Postfix) with ESMTP
    id 0C14870BF; Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:45:29 +0200 (CEST)
    [...]

    Does this look like a mailman, postfix or provider problem?
    It looks like qmail at smtp.provider.com.

    Presumably, <some.user at somewhere.com> is a list member even though not
    the recipient of this example. It appears that Mailman on
    mailmanserver.somewhere.com is delivering the post to Postfix on the
    same machine in an SMTP transaction with multiple recipients. Postfix
    adds its Received: header and then delivers the post in one or more
    SMTP transactions, each with one or more recipients. This particular
    transaction was from Postfix on mailmanserver.somewhere.com to qmail
    on smtp.provider.com and presumably had multiple recipients, one of
    whom was the recipient of this example and another of whom was
    <some.user at somewhere.com>. Qmail then added its Received: header and
    picked one of the multiple recipients to name in "for ..." even though
    there were other recipients as well.

    If this scenario is correct, and this issue is significant, you could
    set

    VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

    in mm_cfg.py to cause all posts to be sent to one user per SMTP
    transaction, but see
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.012.htp
    for performance considerations.

  • Christian Vierkant at Jul 17, 2005 at 8:33 pm
    Thank you very much for this complete explanation! I think you're
    absolutly right. Because I don't have any performance issues this
    solution is ok for me. But I will ask the provider too.

    Regards,

    Christian

    Mark Sapiro schrieb:
    Christian Vierkant wrote:

[...]