Thomas Waters
Director of Information and Communication Services
412-383-7471
waterstc at pitt.edu
http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu

Search Discussions

  • Jim Tittsler at Jul 12, 2005 at 12:57 pm

    On Jul 12, 2005, at 21:41, Thomas Waters wrote:

    Is there a format to use for a tab sep list so
    that the name AND address can be imported via the Mass Subscribe? So
    far, I have only been successful doing a Mass Subscribe of email
    alone.
    I believe they need to be space (not tab) separated for the email
    package to parse them.

    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
    req=show&file=faq03.044.htp>

    --
    Jim Tittsler http://www.OnJapan.net/ GPG: 0x01159DB6
    Python Starship http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/

    I recently did this successfully while using two different formats.

    In the Mass subscribe GUI, try either...

    Format 1:
    Firstname Lastname <emailaddress at domain.com>

    Format 2:
    emailaddress at domain.com (Firstname Lastname)

    See Also (scroll down to "Populate List with Members")..

    http://web.mit.edu/lists/mailman/quickstart.html

    Mike

    In the Mailman web GUI, there is a field for a name associated with
    an email address. Is there a format to use for a tab sep list so
    that the name AND address can be imported via the Mass Subscribe? So
    far, I have only been successful doing a Mass Subscribe of email alone.

    NOTE: new email address
    waterstc at pitt.edu
    http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu

    waterstc at pitt.edu
    http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu

  • John Fleming at Jul 13, 2005 at 1:27 am

    I recently did this successfully while using two different formats.

    In the Mass subscribe GUI, try either...

    Format 1:
    Firstname Lastname <emailaddress at domain.com>
    A little observation about this - Spacing doesn't seem to be very important
    in the syntax above. I am often given a spreadsheet with one column of
    names and one column of email addys. I insert a column on either side of
    the email addy column, and then populate those columns with either < or > as
    appropriate. Then I copy the whole mess and paste it into the mass
    subscribe area. This results in funny looking stuff like:

    John Doe < johndoe at myemail.com >
    William Barnes Doe < billsaddy at email.com >

    But Mailman is fine with that and the subscription works perfectly!

    - John (not Doe)...

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 12, '05 at 12:41p