Hello all,

I've recently had an unfortunate data loss - a mailing list which I
run was lost in a server outage, and for some reason my hosting
company was unable to locate the archive backups.

However - I have been running then entire list admin through a GMail
account, and I do in fact have every single post made to the list, and
I can easily recover all of the posts from there.

What I'm contemplating doing is writing a python script to

a) Recover all of the posts in their original form using GMail api
b) Reconstitute the archives somehow from this data

Now - without getting too much into the details of how the python side
of things would work, does anyone know how I would go about
re-creating the archives? Would it be possible just to re-send every
single mail and somehow fake the headers to make mailman index them
correctly ? Or, better still, is there an existing
script/utility/commandline switch that I could just run on a directory
of email files?

Any input would be most appreciated,
Sincerely,
Alias Cummins

Search Discussions

  • Jim Tittsler at Jul 11, 2005 at 11:35 am

    Now - without getting too much into the details of how the python side
    of things would work, does anyone know how I would go about
    re-creating the archives? [...] Or, better still, is there an existing
    script/utility/commandline switch that I could just run on a directory
    of email files?
    The ~mailman/bin/arch script will rebuild the archives given the
    messages in a standard Unix mbox format file. (Run 'bin/arch --help'
    for more info. It will explain that typically the mbox will be in
    the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox )

    --
    Jim Tittsler http://www.OnJapan.net/ GPG: 0x01159DB6
    Python Starship http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/

    Now - without getting too much into the details of how the python side
    of things would work, does anyone know how I would go about
    re-creating the archives? [...] Or, better still, is there an existing
    script/utility/commandline switch that I could just run on a directory
    of email files?
    The ~mailman/bin/arch script will rebuild the archives given the
    messages in a standard Unix mbox format file. (Run 'bin/arch --help'
    for more info. It will explain that typically the mbox will be in
    the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox )
    And you can retrieve all the posts from Gmail via POP.

    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer103

    Once in a local client, you can select the relevant messages and save
    them in mbox format.

    Brian.
    --
    Brian Greenberg
    grnbrg at gmail.com
  • Poster at Jul 11, 2005 at 4:16 pm
    Can anyone tell me what this means? Why is Mailman trying to execute
    graphic files? :o (What's happening is that none of the Mailman
    graphics are showing up in the web interface and the errors are
    filling up my logs. I don't care if the graphics are there or not; I
    just want those errors gone.)

    [Mon Jul 11 10:10:39 2005] [error] [client 70.152.5.228] (8)Exec
    format error: exec of '/srv/www/icons/mm-icon.png' failed
    [Mon Jul 11 10:10:39 2005] [error] [client 70.152.5.228] Premature end
    of script headers: mm-icon.png

    TIA,
    ~Poster

groupmailman-users @