Hello,

I have just installed anc configured mailman on our mail server, and it
seems to be working perfectly.

I added the system aliases into "/etc/aliases" and configured exim as per
the documentation on the mailman web site. I configured it in such a way
that exim didn't need to know about new mailing lists.

However, even though mailman is handling mailing lists successfully without
them being in "/etc/aliases", every time I create a new list, I get the
following email:

proper /etc/aliases (or equivalent) file must be updated. The program
`newaliases' may also have to be run.

Here are the entries for the /etc/aliases file:

it: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post it"
it-admin: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin it"
it-bounces: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces it"
it-confirm: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm it"
it-join: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join it"
it-leave: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave it"
it-owner: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner it"
it-request: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request it"
it-subscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe it"
it-unsubscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe it"
moment, and mailman is processing mail for it perfectly, but if this just
luck?

Below are the two sections which I added to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf:

# Mailman stuff
# Home dir for your Mailman installation -- aka Mailman's prefix
# directory.
MAILMAN_HOME=/var/lib/mailman
MAILMAN_WRAP=MAILMAN_HOME/mail/wrapper

# User and group for Mailman, should match your --with-mail-gid
# switch to Mailman's configure script.
MAILMAN_USER=list
MAILMAN_GROUP=list
# End of Mailman stuff

# Mailman stuff
mailman_router:
driver = accept
require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
local_part_suffix_optional
local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
-confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
-owner : -request : -admin
transport = mailman_transport
# End of Mailman stuff

Does anyone know why this is happening? I guess mailman doesn't know that
exim is configured to not care about new lists, but is there a way to tell
it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :-)

Richard Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964 Mobile: +44 7811 803377

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com

Search Discussions

  • Jim Tittsler at Jul 9, 2005 at 2:08 am

    Does anyone know why this is happening? I guess mailman doesn't
    know that
    exim is configured to not care about new lists, but is there a way
    to tell
    it?
    Set:
    MTA = None
    in your mm_cfg.py. (See the documentation in Defaults.py.)

    --
    Jim Tittsler http://www.OnJapan.net/ GPG: 0x01159DB6
    Python Starship http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 8, '05 at 3:18p
activeJul 9, '05 at 2:08a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Jim Tittsler: 1 post Richard Hobbs: 1 post