I moderate a list and want to forward a message from within 'pending
requests'
to another address that is another email list that we run.

I have found out that the posting text went out as an attachment, with
the
body of the actual email text-less. Also the From: did not state the
original sender of the posting but as 'mylistname-bounces'.

So does anyone know if it's possible with a posting forwarded from
one list to another to have it

a) sent not as an attachment but with the text in the body of the email

and

b) contain a From: header with the sender's address and not a '-bounces'
one

??

Thanks for any advice or fixes.

Riki

P.S. A similar question to this one was posted in the archives and I
never saw an answer. Is there one?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 16, 2005 at 2:48 pm

    rfried wrote:
    I moderate a list and want to forward a message from within 'pending
    requests'
    to another address that is another email list that we run.

    I have found out that the posting text went out as an attachment, with
    the
    body of the actual email text-less. Also the From: did not state the
    original sender of the posting but as 'mylistname-bounces'.

    So does anyone know if it's possible with a posting forwarded from
    one list to another to have it

    a) sent not as an attachment but with the text in the body of the email

    and

    b) contain a From: header with the sender's address and not a '-bounces'
    one
    You can't do this directly from the admindb (pending requests) page.

    How easy it is to do depends on the capabilities of your MUA (e-mail
    client). First, you need a copy of the original message (only) which
    can be extracted from the immediate notification to the moderator
    (you) if you get immediate notifications, or extracted from the
    message as forwarded to you (instead of the other list) from the
    admindb interface, or if you are going to approve the message for the
    original list, it can be the post you receive from the original list
    after approval.

    Then you need to 'redirect', 'resend' or 'bounce' that message to the
    target list, and in this process or by pre-editing change the To:
    address from the old list to the new so the message doesn't get held
    for implicit destination, and maybe strip any subject prefix from the
    subject.

    Some MUAs make this very easy and some make it impossible. At worst,
    you can edit the message with a text editor and send it to the new
    list with the sendmail command or equivalent if you have access to
    that.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 16, '05 at 10:16a