I know that via the web interface this is quite easy. However, I have a need
to be able to subscribe users via email commands, without the user being
subscribed getting a confirmation email. In other words, someone asks to be
inserted into the list, and then an email is sent with the subscribe command
in it.

Is this possible?

Ricardo

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 3, 2005 at 3:39 am

    Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
    I know that via the web interface this is quite easy. However, I have a need
    to be able to subscribe users via email commands, without the user being
    subscribed getting a confirmation email. In other words, someone asks to be
    inserted into the list, and then an email is sent with the subscribe command
    in it.

    Is this possible?
    I think that as long as subscribe_policy includes confirm, the
    subscribee will always receive a confirm e-mail from a subscribe (or
    join) e-mail command.

    This is at least in part because it's so easy to send a subscribe
    command for someone else. I've looked at the code, and I don't see
    that Approved: headers are handled in e-mail command processing. It's
    generally assumed that the list admin will use the web interface.

  • John W. Baxter at Jun 3, 2005 at 12:18 pm

    I know that via the web interface this is quite easy. However, I have a need
    to be able to subscribe users via email commands, without the user being
    subscribed getting a confirmation email. In other words, someone asks to be
    inserted into the list, and then an email is sent with the subscribe command
    in it.

    Is this possible?
    I think that as long as subscribe_policy includes confirm, the
    subscribee will always receive a confirm e-mail from a subscribe (or
    join) e-mail command.

    This is at least in part because it's so easy to send a subscribe
    command for someone else. I've looked at the code, and I don't see
    that Approved: headers are handled in e-mail command processing. It's
    generally assumed that the list admin will use the web interface.
    As an RFE, allowing Approved: headers in this context would be a good thing
    to ask for.

    Adjusting the Python code to do so and offering a patch against Mailman
    2.1.6 would also be feasible, if it matches Ricardo's talents or those of
    someone he enlists.

    It may also be that Mailman in the 2.x form isn't the right tool to use for
    solving Ricardo's problem.

    Mailman was built to be web-interface driven in part because lots of
    MajorDomo, LISTSERV, and others were tired of having to do things by email
    command (including me). And tired of waiting for the ever-receding
    MajorDomo 2. The email commands which are there are there basically so that
    list users could keep doing things the familiar way when their list was
    moved to Mailman. [I wasn't around during Mailman's early days--we first
    installed 2.0.6--I'm reading between the lines in writing this paragraph.]

    --John
  • Brad Knowles at Jun 3, 2005 at 6:26 pm

    As an RFE, allowing Approved: headers in this context would be a good thing
    to ask for.
    Please feel free to file RFEs on the Mailman RFE page on
    SourceForge at
    <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id3&atid50103>.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  • John W. Baxter at Jun 3, 2005 at 12:25 pm