I have Mailman installed ok on Mac OS 10.3. The web interface works fine,
admin emails work fine, but the documentation on creating aliases to receive
list email via sendmail seems to be missing.

If I have a list called mylist at acme.com how do I get it to mailman from
sendmail. Do I send the mail to the app via aliases like so:

virtusertable entry:
mylist at acme.com mylist

aliases entry:
mylist: "/usr/adm/sm.bin/mailman"

Tried that, but got the error:
localhost Mailman mail-wrapper: Usage: ./mailman program [args...]

Any help is appreciated with this.

--
Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
Website Development/Promotion
Mac Consulting/Sales

http://www.systame.com/

Search Discussions

  • Randall Perry at Apr 29, 2005 at 2:06 pm

    Hmmm... didn't Mailman mail you a list of commands to add to your alias
    file?
    I don't know anything about Mac OS, but here is what I typically get from
    Mailman when I create a new list:

    franklin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post franklin"
    franklin-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin franklin"
    franklin-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces franklin"
    franklin-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm franklin"
    franklin-join: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join franklin"
    franklin-leave: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave franklin"
    franklin-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner franklin"
    franklin-request: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request franklin"
    franklin-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe franklin"
    franklin-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
    franklin"
    Thanks everyone for the quick response. In addition to adding the aliases
    above I had to create forwarding entries for each address in virtusertable,
    i.e.:

    virtusertable
    -------------
    franklin at acme.com franklin

    aliases
    -------
    franklin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post franklin"

    Now I'm getting the error:
    Apr 29 10:04:45 localhost Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.
    Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman",
    but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "daemon".
    Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailman", or re-run
    configure, providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=daemon'.

    So, I guess I have to re-run configure?

    --
    Randall Perry
    sysTame

    Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
    Website Development/Promotion
    Mac Consulting/Sales

    http://www.systame.com/
  • Randall Perry at Apr 29, 2005 at 3:53 pm

    If I remember right (gee, it's only been a week since I got Mailman
    re-installed
    on this box after a disk crash, and I'm already forgetting things), you need
    set the set-guid bit for the CGIs...
    They're all set correctly. Think I read somewhere that set-guid doesn't work
    properly on BSD, which Mac OSXS is based on.

    --
    Randall Perry
    sysTame

    Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location