On the same server I have two lists. When I post to one of them, the
footer (with the list URL etc.) is attached as a separate mime part. When
I post to the other list, the footer is just added to the single mime part
of the e-mail.

I do not understand what I might have done differently when configuring
the two lists. Does anyone know?

Jardar

Search Discussions

  • Jardar Eggesbø Abrahamsen at Apr 19, 2005 at 1:32 pm
    Well, I discovered what was the matter. The footer is always sent as ISO
    8859-1, even if it contains only US ASCII characters. To one list I
    usually write in Norwegian, so the body is also ISO 8859-1, and then the
    footer is appended to the body. To the other list I usually write only
    ASCII. In that case the footer has another content-type than the body, and
    it is attached as a separate mime part.

    I wonder why the footer is always ISO 8859-1. And in the instances where
    it only contains ASCII characters, it would be compatible with most
    encodings, and could in theory just be appended to the body anyway,
    couldn't it?

    Jardar
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 20, 2005 at 12:08 am

    Jardar Eggesb? Abrahamsen wrote:
    I wonder why the footer is always ISO 8859-1. And in the instances where
    it only contains ASCII characters, it would be compatible with most
    encodings, and could in theory just be appended to the body anyway,
    couldn't it?
    I think the footer is always considered to be in the character set of
    the list language. The character set associated with a language is
    defined in the add_language() entries at the end of Defaults.py or
    overridden in mm_cfg.py.

    When in doubt, it is safer to separate the footer than not. See for
    example the thread at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-April/044112.html

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython