FAQ
Hello, I'm running mailman v2.1.5. When I attempt to subscribe to a
list via the web gui. I receive the email I need to confirm. I reply
to the email. The email is received by my mailman server. I see it in
the maillog. However, after that nothing happens. I am not added to
the list nor a message stating that I have sucessfully subscribed. Has
anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
--Matt

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Mar 28, 2005 at 5:31 pm

    At 11:02 AM -0500 2005-03-28, Matthew A. Marshall wrote:

    Hello, I'm running mailman v2.1.5. When I attempt to subscribe to a
    list via the web gui. I receive the email I need to confirm. I reply
    to the email. The email is received by my mailman server. I see it
    in the maillog. However, after that nothing happens. I am not added
    to the list nor a message stating that I have sucessfully subscribed.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    This could be the "redirect" problem. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp>.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    SAGE member since 1995. See <http://www.sage.org/> for more info.
  • Matthew A. Marshall at Mar 28, 2005 at 6:01 pm

    Brad Knowles wrote:
    At 11:02 AM -0500 2005-03-28, Matthew A. Marshall wrote:

    Hello, I'm running mailman v2.1.5. When I attempt to subscribe to a
    list via the web gui. I receive the email I need to confirm. I reply
    to the email. The email is received by my mailman server. I see it
    in the maillog. However, after that nothing happens. I am not added
    to the list nor a message stating that I have sucessfully subscribed.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

    This could be the "redirect" problem. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp>.
    A few other things I should mention, I have no problems with posting a
    message to a list. The problem only seems to be with new requests.
    Also, the list's email address is listname at noaa.gov instead of
    listname at listserver.noaa.gov.

    Thanks!
    --Matt
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 5:47 pm

    Matthew A. Marshall wrote:
    Hello, I'm running mailman v2.1.5. When I attempt to subscribe to a
    list via the web gui. I receive the email I need to confirm. I reply
    to the email. The email is received by my mailman server. I see it in
    the maillog. However, after that nothing happens. I am not added to
    the list nor a message stating that I have sucessfully subscribed. Has
    anyone else had this problem?
    The e-mail has a subject of the form

    Subject: confirm bfb17fa8cb865644b1d4239335148977d3bc6267

    The reply needs to go to the <listname>-request address and it needs to
    preserve the subject or possibly make a subject of the form

    Subject: Re: confirm bfb17fa8cb865644b1d4239335148977d3bc6267

    There is an issue with certain MUAs (MS Outlook) that will make the
    subject of the reply

    Subject: Re : confirm bfb17fa8cb865644b1d4239335148977d3bc6267

    This will not work. I.e. 'confirm' needs to be either the first or the
    second "token" following Subject:

    See the thread at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-March/043360.html

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Matthew A. Marshall at Mar 28, 2005 at 8:11 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Matthew A. Marshall wrote:


    Hello, I'm running mailman v2.1.5. When I attempt to subscribe to a
    list via the web gui. I receive the email I need to confirm. I reply
    to the email. The email is received by my mailman server. I see it in
    the maillog. However, after that nothing happens. I am not added to
    the list nor a message stating that I have sucessfully subscribed. Has
    anyone else had this problem?
    The e-mail has a subject of the form

    Subject: confirm bfb17fa8cb865644b1d4239335148977d3bc6267

    The reply needs to go to the <listname>-request address and it needs to
    preserve the subject or possibly make a subject of the form

    Subject: Re: confirm bfb17fa8cb865644b1d4239335148977d3bc6267

    There is an issue with certain MUAs (MS Outlook) that will make the
    subject of the reply

    Subject: Re : confirm bfb17fa8cb865644b1d4239335148977d3bc6267

    This will not work. I.e. 'confirm' needs to be either the first or the
    second "token" following Subject:

    See the thread at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-March/043360.html

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/matthew.marshall%40noaa.gov

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp

    I double checked the message subject. It's shouldn't be the cause. I
    ran into this same problem with mailman 2.0.x.


    This is what I see. We have a mail router which accepts incoming email
    for anyone at noaa.gov. This includes mailing lists. The
    listname-request at noaa.gov gets forwarded to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov. I see the message come in and
    get sent to mailman. Nothing after that. If I send the confirmation to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov instead of
    listname-request at noaa.gov I see the message come in, get sent to mailman
    and then the welcome message sent back out. This makes absolutly no
    sense as to why it works one way, but not the other.

    --Matt
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 8:27 pm

    Matthew A. Marshall wrote:
    This is what I see. We have a mail router which accepts incoming email
    for anyone at noaa.gov. This includes mailing lists. The
    listname-request at noaa.gov gets forwarded to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov. I see the message come in and
    get sent to mailman. Nothing after that. If I send the confirmation to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov instead of
    listname-request at noaa.gov I see the message come in, get sent to mailman
    and then the welcome message sent back out. This makes absolutly no
    sense as to why it works one way, but not the other.
    It makes no sense to me either, but it seems that somehow the process
    of forwarding from listname-request at noaa.gov to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov is changing something in the
    message other than just adding another Received: header. Does it
    rewrite the envelope sender? I don't even know if this would matter -
    just grasping at straws - but something must be going on in that
    process.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Matthew A. Marshall at Mar 29, 2005 at 6:02 pm
    I see the qrunner has the option of running in verbose mode. However, I
    do not see how to enable this option with the mailmanctl script. I
    would rather not go in and edit the qrunner script. Is there something
    obvious I'm missing?


    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Matthew A. Marshall wrote:

    This is what I see. We have a mail router which accepts incoming email
    for anyone at noaa.gov. This includes mailing lists. The
    listname-request at noaa.gov gets forwarded to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov. I see the message come in and
    get sent to mailman. Nothing after that. If I send the confirmation to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov instead of
    listname-request at noaa.gov I see the message come in, get sent to mailman
    and then the welcome message sent back out. This makes absolutly no
    sense as to why it works one way, but not the other.
    It makes no sense to me either, but it seems that somehow the process
    of forwarding from listname-request at noaa.gov to
    listname-request at listserver.noaa.gov is changing something in the
    message other than just adding another Received: header. Does it
    rewrite the envelope sender? I don't even know if this would matter -
    just grasping at straws - but something must be going on in that
    process.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/matthew.marshall%40noaa.gov

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 29, 2005 at 6:39 pm

    Matthew A. Marshall wrote:
    I see the qrunner has the option of running in verbose mode. However, I
    do not see how to enable this option with the mailmanctl script. I
    would rather not go in and edit the qrunner script. Is there something
    obvious I'm missing?
    You can run bin/qrunner manually, but --verbose won't help you. All it
    does is:

    if verbose:
    syslog('qrunner', 'Now doing a %s qrunner iteration',
    qrunner.__class__.__bases__[0].__name__)

    at the end of each loop.


    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 28, '05 at 4:02p
activeMar 29, '05 at 6:39p
posts8
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase